• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fuck Drones

RedFive

pilot
Contributor
I don't know where to post this, so here it is. Flying over LA yesterday, 5500ft, talking to SOCAL, all the sudden I see this bright orange/yellow thing whiz by about 100 ft below me. A fucking drone. I kind of expect it when flying around at 500 ft in the helo, but over 5k? WTF? I reported it to ATC, could not make out the number of rotors.

Fuck drones. And fuck all you drone apologizers out there!

That is all. 😡

sickboy

pilot
I barely missed one on the PAR final at KNIP a few years back. They’re a menace and probably going to get worse.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ve seen them close to 5000. Idiots. One of them was a big four-rotor type that was massive. Made me wish I had some guns mounted on a he wings...I would be close to an ace by now!
Probably commercially operated if it was that big, and easier to hold the operator liable, but good luck finding them. Bottom line, you aren’t supposed to be above 400 AGL without special approval from the FAA, NOTAMS , etc.

robav8r

D-FENS
None
Contributor
They’re a menace and probably going to get worse.
Much worse. The commercial markets for UAV’s (I hate the word “drone”, just like a I hate the word “choppers”, but I digress) is exploding. When I was at NDU, we had a chance to visit DOT and see how UAV routes and airways were being incorporated into the NAS. It’s just a matter of time until we have a major aviation mishap.

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
Contributor
Much worse. The commercial markets for UAV’s (I hate the word “drone”, just like a I hate the word “choppers”, but I digress) is exploding. When I was at NDU, we had a chance to visit DOT and see how UAV routes and airways were being incorporated into the NAS. It’s just a matter of time until we have a major aviation mishap.
I blame the FAA for dragging their feet for so long in their commitment to not release any "Beta" rules. They wanted to wait until they could have create a one and done set of rules.

However, even if big sweeping regulations were to be enacted, there are simply too many of them out there and we're too far to the right on the timeline to make a difference.

Oh, and Part 107 licensing requirements are a joke.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I blame the FAA for dragging their feet for so long in their commitment to not release any "Beta" rules. They wanted to wait until they could have create a one and done set of rules.

However, even if big sweeping regulations were to be enacted, there are simply too many of them out there and we're too far to the right on the timeline to make a difference.

Oh, and Part 107 licensing requirements are a joke.
Current rules are designed to deconflict recreational drones from air traffic. This is an enforcement issue, not a regulatory one.

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
Contributor
Current rules are designed to deconflict recreational drones from air traffic. This is an enforcement issue, not a regulatory one.
I suppose you're right.

There are plenty of commercial operators who are tired of the inefficiency of the COA processes (and what it takes to get yours to the top of the pile) and are therefore simply doing whatever they want/need to, knowing full well that the likelihood of them being caught or charged with anything is near zero.