• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

From undesignated to officer

Frenchiee

Hello guys, I am currently undes fireman however, I have a degree in healthcare administration with a 3.33 GPA. I was wondering is it possible to put a package in before i strike for a rate? If so what is the chance of getting selected?

exNavyOffRec

Hello guys, I am currently undes fireman however, I have a degree in healthcare administration with a 3.33 GPA. I was wondering is it possible to put a package in before i strike for a rate? If so what is the chance of getting selected?
How did you end up an undesignated fireman with a degree and a 3.3 GPA? there are many getting picked up for OCS with GPA's lower than yours?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At this point, you’ll need to work hard to establish yourself in order to earn competitive evaluations. Then, you’ll need your chain of command’s support to apply for OCS (Officer interviews, Commanding Officer’s endorsement, etc). If you are a slacker or dirtbag, you’ll have a tough time achieving your goal.

exNavyOffRec

At this point, you’ll need to work hard to establish yourself in order to earn competitive evaluations. Then, you’ll need your chain of command’s support to apply for OCS (Officer interviews, Commanding Officer’s endorsement, etc). If you are a slacker or dirtbag, you’ll have a tough time achieving your goal.
and some CO's won't give a favorable recommendation until the sailor has earned their warfare pin, there are many hoops to jump through.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Former AW myself, routed my first package to OCS while still a student at VP-30 (before I had my AC wings). The package/process is the LARGEST hurdle you are going to have to overcome.
Don’t let any anecdotal stories stand in your way, your GPA is higher than mine, and I got in on my second try in the Navy (3rd overall).

Take your ASTB/OAR, do your paperwork, schedule your interviews/boards, take your shot.

Don’t depend on the ESO, don’t depend on your CMC, you are your own best advocate.

Start now.

Pickle

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Frenchiee...welcome. What is it specifically you want to put in a package for? Have you read the Navy instruction for what you're trying (want) to do? That should be your first step. If you don't know what I'm talking about or where to start, I recommend that you go talk to your command career counselor (or whatever they're called these days). They should be able to offer some guidance and/or at least point you to the right instruction.

Whatever you do, YOU have to take ownership of the process. As for your chances of getting selected, I'd be lying to you if I said you have a great shot here. But don't let that stop you from getting a package in, even if that means this is all just an admin exercise on your part. You'll be better prepared on the next go around.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
And some CO's will recognize that this individual may have gotten taken advantage of by an overzealous recruiter and assist him in any way possible.
This ^^^ is quite true, but don't open your application with an "I was screwed!" pitch. Get on the boat, do your job every day, establish your package and hope for the best.

Most importantly, even as your package works its way through the system...get on the boat, do your job every day, and be a good dude. Do not be that guy who thinks; "I'm on my way to "O-landia" and don't need to follow the basics any more.

Best of luck!

exNavyOffRec

And some CO's will recognize that this individual may have gotten taken advantage of by an overzealous recruiter and assist him in any way possible.
I would hope that would be the case, we all know there is quite a variety of CO's, some have strange policies, some are more realistic.

It would be nice to know the OP's backstory how with a good GPA he ended up undesignated.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It would be nice to know the OP's backstory how with a good GPA he ended up undesignated.
Well, when my older brother joined the army years ago the family joke was that you could hear the police sirens in the background! Sometimes a fast escape is better than a good escape. (Just kidding, I know the process has changed significantly).

Chalybeate

How long until this guy realizes he’s been had? ?

Attachments

• 0EBCCF6F-B734-48EF-ACB6-F036693B8D82.png
    0EBCCF6F-B734-48EF-ACB6-F036693B8D82.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 59

villo0692

man, do they get people with that undesignated bs....I scored a 94 in my ASVAB, speak 4 languages, was in great shape and ended up as undesignated airman, fell trap of that "YOU CAN PICK ANY JOB YOU WANT!!!" thing........funny story, my recruiter transferred before I shipped out to basic, and ran into him first day in my first squadron.....the look on his face was priceless

exNavyOffRec

man, do they get people with that undesignated bs....I scored a 94 in my ASVAB, speak 4 languages, was in great shape and ended up as undesignated airman, fell trap of that "YOU CAN PICK ANY JOB YOU WANT!!!" thing........funny story, my recruiter transferred before I shipped out to basic, and ran into him first day in my first squadron.....the look on his face was priceless

This is why when you are a recruiter you need to do the right thing, I had the same thing happen not only at my command after enlisted recruiting but years later when I would run into people that had already completed their enlistment.