• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

from the red river valley fighter pilots association

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I joined the Red River Rats shortly after they allowed Navy members (even non-fighter pilots) to join if they had flown in combat in Route Pkg. VI-A & B (Hanoi/Haiphong). I attended the 1st reunion in '73 in Las Vegas$. It was great, mainly a rowdy celebration of the POW release, which had taken place just 5 months earlier. Several of the recent returnees attended, and were the "SuperStars" of the weekend!:D
BzB

Phantom309

It's good to see that they opened up their membership some. I was talking to one of our pilots a few years ago that is river rat. Just asking no majorly important questions, and cripes almighty you'd thought I was asking for the secret handshake or something.

It's ok though, I was his crew chief that day and he had a "hydraulic leak" under the airplane that kept him in the chalks for a little longer than he liked. :)

Renegade One

None
I joined the Red River Rats shortly after they allowed Navy members (even non-fighter pilots...Oh, the humanity!!!) to join if they had flown in combat in Route Pkg. VI-A & B (Hanoi/Haiphong).
BzB
It's good to see that they opened up their membership some...
Like many "fraternal veteran associations"...they had to open their membership or they would have died (literally) as a group. That said, I've been a member of the RRVFPA for a while, and while they make an honest attempt to "nod a head", accept and recruit others, and try to get today's generation interested...they are stuck in the Ubon/Udorn/Takhli [e.g., Thailand-based AFBs and fighter wings of the Vietnam era] mindset. I expect they have some higher level of interest in USAF JOs...

No slap on them...they are what they are...and for whatever reasons they choose to embrace. For you Navy and Marine Corps types...I'd recommend sticking with Tailhook, ANA, NHA, MCAA...probably others of which I'm unaware...but they are timeless. And all of YOU are our future.

Phantom309

What little bit he did talk about it, I kind of got the same impression Renegade. He was an 105 thud driver in Nam. However, most of our pilots now flew in desert shield/storm, and iraq, Afghanistan I've seen them with River Rat patches on their flight suit, so maybe they are moving away from that mindset.

I can't join the river rats, as I'm not aircrew, just and ejection seat guy here. I do need to look into joining the VFW, Legion, and other vet organizations.

Renegade One

None
What little bit he did talk about it, I kind of got the same impression Renegade. He was an 105 thud driver in Nam. However, most of our pilots now flew in desert shield/storm, and iraq, Afghanistan I've seen them with River Rat patches on their flight suit, so maybe they are moving away from that mindset.

They need the dues...

I do need to look into joining the VFW, Legion, and other vet organizations.

Please do that...and Tailhook would love to have you. Never say "Just an Ejection Seat Guy" around us...too many owe our lives to you and yours.