• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Free Credit Reports (no Bs)!!!!!!!!

snizo

Supply Officer
I was gonna add to what you posted, but when I was researching around, I found out why you got it free (and that the law changes since I last knew about getting reports) -

The Fair Credit Reporting Act is requiring all credit bureaus to provide a free credit report to you no matter where you live once every year starting September 1. Additionally, you can get your report any time adverse action is taken against you (ie denied credit application) if you request your report within 60 days. This is being phased in and will be in effect for everyone on Sept 1 (they were phasing it in by state). It used to be that each state had their own rules on how many free reports (if any) you could get when - I don't know if some states still allow more now.

http://www.ftc.gov/credit/

LoneSailor

When new sailors come onboard our command, this is usually mentioned during one of the financial breifs.

Yes by law, the 3 major bureaus are required to give everyone a free credit report.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very good gouge for military members.

I recommend you do this once a year. I once had a psycho nut case habitual liar girlfriend (no love there, eh?) take out a Discover card in my name while I was deployed.

Way I found out was much later (post psycho of course) when they called me to ask me when I was going to make a payment on my overdue maxed out Discover card... ??????

Some legwork, paperwork drills and a small claims lawsuit later my credit was 4.0 and she was in hot water for mail fraud.

This is very good advice as your SSN is all over the place as a military member.

r/
G

jchase01

For those of you schedule for the 9/1 start date for access, you can actually access today. I just went through and received all of mine. Be sure you know some details because you will be asked security questions based on what is on your report.

With free reports for all now, it is a great habit to get into. Military and non-military alike. :)