• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Four Naval Aviators Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acoustix99

pilot
Ugh, the western pacaific is not a good place to go missing....well, i guess no place really is, but ya know

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
That's a bird from our sister squadron. :( More specifically, a pilot, 2 NFOs and an AT2 were on board.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Thisguy said:
That's a bird from our sister squadron. :( More specifically, a pilot, 2 NFOs and an AT2 were on board.

All of them, their family's, their squadron, and all of your squadron are in my prayers...I hope everything turns out for the best.

-Erin Leigh

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately this is the "other" side of naval aviation.
I hope they find them...
I was Asst Air Operations on USS John C Stennis Dec 99- Jul 02
r/
G

Acoustix99

pilot
Well looks like they found the aircraft, went down on a deserted island near Iwo. They're still looking for the crew, apparently.

TargetInSight

Acoustix99 said:
Well looks like they found the aircraft, went down on a deserted island near Iwo. They're still looking for the crew, apparently.

Yeah here's an article about what you just said:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040811-9999-1m11plane.html

S.D.-based plane crashed on island south of Japan
By James W. Crawley
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
August 11, 2004

Navy aircraft and ships continued searching today for four San Diego-based airmen whose jet crashed into a small volcanic island about 620 miles south of Japan yesterday.

The S-3B Viking from Sea Control Squadron VS-35, based at North Island Naval Air Station, apparently went down on Kita Io Jima, an uninhabited, 2.4-square-mile island, about 7:42 p.m. yesterday Japan time, said 7th Fleet spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Marc Boyd in Japan.

The aviators' names were not released.

The twin-engine jet had been launched off the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis, which is deployed in the Western Pacific. It was lost during the first night of a four-day, joint training exercise involving the Stennis and the carrier Kitty Hawk, whose home port is in Japan.

An investigation has begun, Boyd said.

Search-and-rescue efforts were under way with ships and aircraft from the Stennis and Kitty Hawk flotillas. Japanese searchers also were participating.

Inspecting the wreckage and searching the island may be difficult because Kita Io Jima is the top of a volcano that thrusts 2,520 feet above the Pacific Ocean. It has nearly sheer sides with no flat areas or beach.

The peak is the northernmost of Japan's three Volcano Islands. Also known as Kita Iwo Jima, the island is about 42 miles north of Iwo Jima, which was the scene of ferocious World War II fighting by Marines in early 1945.

The American flag-raising on Iwo Jima's Mount Suribachi was captured in one of the most famous photographs of the war.

The naval exercise involving the Stennis and Kitty Hawk originally was to be conducted off Okinawa, 1,000 miles to the west. But a typhoon forced the Navy to relocate the exercise off Iwo Jima.

For 15 years, the island's airfield has been used by Japan-based Navy pilots to practice carrier landings. Navy officials said the ill-fated aircraft was not flying to Iwo Jima before the accident.

The Navy has several jet squadrons based at Atsugi Naval Air Station, near Tokyo, but local residents' protests against jet noise have forced Navy pilots to fly to Iwo Jima for training.

Besides Iwo Jima's remote location, weather can be fickle and unpredictable, according to articles in naval aviation journals.

In recent years, Navy officials have been trying to persuade the Japanese government to find another landing field, on one of Japan's main islands and closer to U.S. bases.

The Stennis left San Diego May 24, sailing first to the Gulf of Alaska to participate in Exercise Northern Edge, then cruising to Hawaii in July for the biennial RIMPAC exercise.

The carrier is expected to return to San Diego late this fall.

The Viking is a four-seat, $27 million aircraft originally built to hunt and sink Soviet submarines during the Cold War.

In recent years, the plane has taken on several roles, including aerial refueling and maritime strike missions. It can carry Harpoon and Maverick air-to-surface missiles.

President Bush landed on the aircraft carrier Lincoln off San Diego on May 1, 2003, aboard a VS-35 Viking flown by the unit's current commanding officer, Cmdr. John Lussier.

The downed plane's unit is scheduled to be shut down next year as the Navy retires its fleet of Viking jets.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy releases names of 4 killed in island crash

Families say flying was their passion
By James W. Crawley
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
August 14, 2004

With each knock on the door came the agonizing words, "We regret to inform . . . " – marking the end of four aviators' lives.

They leave memories and their devotion to duty as legacies.
The men, flying a Navy S-3B Viking jet from the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis, died Tuesday when their aircraft slammed into Kita Iwo Jima, a volcanic island about 620 miles southeast of Japan.

It was supposed to be a routine training flight during a naval exercise over the placid waters of the Pacific, with few of the dangers all four knew 17 months earlier during combat missions over Iraq.

Yesterday, the Navy released their names, confirming that they died when the twin-engine jet crashed.

The fliers were members of Sea Control Squadron VS-35 at North Island Naval Air Station.

Lt. Cmdr. Scott A. Zellem, 35, of Indiana, Pa.

Lt. Patrick S. Myrick, 31, of Seattle, Wash.

Lt. James J. Pupplo, 34, of Selden, N.Y.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Joshua B. Showalter, 24, of Fontana.

The flight was to have been routine, but there was nothing routine about their lives.

One played football for his hometown high school and for the U.S. Naval Academy.

One fell in love with another officer.

Another flier served on a nuclear submarine before trading his enlisted uniform for officer's bars and aviator's wings.

Coaching a youth soccer team filled the off-duty hours of the fourth.

Jennifer Zellem had no intention of marrying a Navy man.

When a friend invited her to a beach party here on Good Friday, April 21, 2000, she tried to decline, saying that she didn't want to meet any unattached Navy officers. But that was before she saw Scott Zellem.

"It was 100 percent love at first sight," she said yesterday in a phone interview.

He called Easter Sunday, asking for a date the next day.

They married Aug. 16, 2002.

"He was the most compassionate, sincere, loving person I've ever known," she said.

A sports fan, Zellem had played football in high school and at the Naval Academy. Zooming around Mission Bay on a jet ski, walking on the beach at sunset with her or playing with their 13-month-old son, Tanner, were all favorite activities, Jennifer said.

But the Navy and flying were his passion.

While she was worried about the risks of a naval aviator – being catapulted off a carrier deck and then landing on a pitching, moving deck, stopped only by a thick steel cable and a stout tailhook – "I loved watching how much he loved his job."

Pilot Patrick Myrick decided young that he wanted to be a pilot, and not just any kind.

"He wanted to fly off ships," his mother, Meg Myrick, recalled yesterday.

But it was his ability to make friends for life, to make people laugh and to make others better that gained the attention of another prospective naval aviator.

"I loved seeing the world through his eyes," said his wife, Lt. Alli Myrick.

They met as students at officer candidate school in Pensacola, Fla.

Alli caught Patrick and a friend "jumping the line" in the dormitory laundry room. Being a few weeks ahead of them at the school, Alli dressed down the pair for using a dryer out of turn.

Alli and Patrick became best friends, studying for classes and prepping for flight school. But that was as far as she expected the relationship would go.

"I told him he was too handsome to date," she said yesterday.

One day, he brought her flowers he'd plucked from the Officers Club garden. The gesture was a tipping point for her.

"I realized I shouldn't resist," she said.

Marrying another officer wasn't going to be easy, they realized. Too small for aircraft, Alli moved to public affairs jobs while Patrick went to flight school.

"I knew it was more dangerous than an average job," she said. "I was OK with it because he was so happy with it.

"Flying was in his blood and he loved flying, and I knew I'd support him 110 percent," she said while she rubbed the miniature gold pilot's wings hanging from a thin necklace.

His life, she said, was "so enriching and an elevating experience" for everyone he met and knew.

Myrick and Pupplo were roommates aboard the Stennis.

Their two-person stateroom was turned into a theater when they installed a television projector, hanging a sheet for the screen.

On "movie nights," squadron buddies would stop by and watch DVDs shown on the big screen.

Pupplo had been an enlisted man and a submariner before he became a flight officer, handling nonflying duties such as navigation and weapons.

His wife, who is pregnant with their first child, and family declined to be interviewed.

The crew's only enlisted man was Joshua Showalter, an avionics technician.

Through a Navy spokeswoman, his wife, Jennifer, said her husband was "gung-ho Navy" and planned to make the service a career.

Besides the Navy, he loved playing soccer and coached a youth team while off-duty. For personal enjoyment, he worked on his computer and toyed with remote-controlled cars, she said.

Showalter enlisted in December 1998 and joined VS-35 in October 2001.

He is survived by his wife, who is pregnant, and one child.

As families and friends began mourning their losses stateside, the Stennis crew planned to hold a memorial service on board Sunday.

Services are pending for the aviators.

Status
Not open for further replies.