• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

former Army CWO Blackhawk pilot seeking reserve commission

Willy Pete

Anybody know how a former CWO Blackhawk pilot who resigned his commission several years ago can gain a commission as a pilot in the Navy reserve?

Clux4

Banned
VR-57 is accepting applications for its upcoming pilot selection board on July 14, 2009. All applicants must be commissioned officers and pilots previously trained by the military. VR-57 is a Navy Reserve Squadron that flies C-40 (Boeing 737NG) aircraft out of Naval Air Station North Island, California. We support overseas detachments to Sigonella, Sicily; Atsugi, Japan; and Bahrain. Applicants must be eligible to join the Navy Reserve and must not be above the rank of O-4. Applicants should be available for Inactive Duty training six days per month, and annual training periods of 19-21 days per year. Application packages are due to the squadron NLT 1 July 2009 and requirements will be released via Navy message traffic 60 days prior to the selection board. If you cannot access Navy message traffic or have questions please email LT Chris McFadden at christopher.mcfadden@navy.mil. Contact phone COM 619-767-7913 DSN 577-7913.

This is old but I am sure these folks can give you ideas on where to start.

dustydog

pilot
It's going to be hard to do since you were not an RLO. In VR-58 we have two former army guys but they were RLO's and had Army fixed wing time. You might try HSC-84 or 85. The used to have a few former Army guys (if you want to fly 60's again).

DD

Bevo16

pilot
You might try HSC-84 or 85.

No chance.

None.

Well, almost none.

You would have to have a degree, go to OCS, go to flight school, get wings, do a JO tour, and THEN maybe.

It's not like you can just apply to some board and have someone wave a magic wand over you, get gold wings, and get into one of the most sought after squadrons in the Navy.

This is like a Navy helo guy getting out and asking if he just up and fly for the 160th. Not gonna happen.

hscs

pilot
No chance.

None.

Well, almost none.

You would have to have a degree, go to OCS, go to flight school, get wings, do a JO tour, and THEN maybe.

It's not like you can just apply to some board and have someone wave a magic wand over you, get gold wings, and get into one of the most sought after squadrons in the Navy.

This is like a Navy helo guy getting out and asking if he just up and fly for the 160th. Not gonna happen.

Well, I wouldn't go that far there, killer.

You can try and contact HSC-84 or -85 (duty desk will be listed on their official website). They will have a person who is responsible for the pilot selection boards. They will be able to tell you what you will need. The CWO thing would be new, but we do have former Army Officers who did not need to go back to flight school or have someone wave a magic wand.

And the Army will take Navy helo guys and even let them assess for their high end units.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This question has been coming up a lot lately, Army dudes trying to go Navy. The answer always seems to boil down to "it depends". I think it's always going to come down to manning levels, and if the RESRONS are full-up with Navy applicants, then I don't think they're going to be much inclined to exert the energy to convert you into a Naval Aviator.

Anything's possible, everything's been done at least once, and any rule can be waived, so you may as well ask. Worst they'll say is 'no, thanks'.

I think you'd have a better shot going for the Coasties. I don't know what your chances are for the DCA, or how many applicants they have now, but the point is there's already a mechanism in place for turning Army Warrants into Coastie Ensign pilots. There's no such mechanism in place for the Navy or USNR, so it's really up to the whims/needs of the community.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Willy Pete Response?

Every example that I've ever heard of is that it was already an RLO going from the Army to Navy. I heard rumors that certain CW types from the Army were getting into the Navy, however had to be IP/IE or MTP with certain levels of experience so they didn't have to go through anything but an aircraft transition. Also, I'm positive that if you don't have a 4 year degree, then there is no chance in getting in on the Navy transition. Some of my cronies here are telling me that it has happened. I'm not sure how widely used the Navy Warrant Officer rank is right now in Aviation? Anyone have input on that?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I'm not sure how widely used the Navy Warrant Officer rank is right now in Aviation? Anyone have input on that?

The Navy FWO program is very new and very small, and currently restricted to helos and heavies (P-3/EP-3/E-6).

The idea is to take shit-hot petty officers from the Fleet and make them into aviators without necessarily sending them through a comissioning program, though they do need at least an Associate's to apply.

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a warrant-to-warrant transfer. I won't say it'll never happen, but that's not how Big Navy is playing the FWO program right now.

highside7r

None
The Navy FWO program is very new and very small, and currently restricted to helos and heavies (P-3/EP-3/E-6).

The idea is to take shit-hot petty officers from the Fleet and make them into aviators without necessarily sending them through a comissioning program, though they do need at least an Associate's to apply.

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a warrant-to-warrant transfer. I won't say it'll never happen, but that's not how Big Navy is playing the FWO program right now.

That was my plan last year, Navy to Army back to Navy. Made some calls, not going to happen with or without a magic wand. Another "what if...", and delayed my interservice transfer.

WP, USCG would be a great route to take, and you can always "rush" Air Guard units.
http://www.guardreservejobs.com/

60dude

Last time I checked being above the rank of CW2 and so on, you are a commissioned officer. I'm in my case I have a 4 year degree and don't care if I have to do OCS as long as I get in and go 60's. Truth be told VR-57 doesn't sound so bad either.

60dude

Hey what's the age requirement and years in service for active duty transfer to the navy? Waivers? I'll go to OCS and go to flight school again, don't care. I want AD if I can get it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Hey what's the age requirement and years in service for active duty transfer to the navy? Waivers? I'll go to OCS and go to flight school again, don't care. I want AD if I can get it.

Because you're prior service, you should be able to get a waiver. That pushes it out to 29 years old by OCS commissioning. There are other options like taking a reserve commission, but if you want to go straight AD Pilot, 29 is it.

60dude

Nice, 29 is it then. Well is it a bad time for me to inform you that I'm 31. I'm guessing reserves is it, no matter if I'm already a rated aviator or not.