• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FNG and need insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdo or bust

I just joined the site and I am wanting to get information or insight into the AMDO world. I just completed my BS in Professional Aeronautics and I am gathering the particulars for my OCS package. I am an active duty AM1 and stationed at NAS Lemoore in California. I am trying to find out how to get a test set up for my ASTB and what areas I should concentrate on for the test. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are active duty you will not work with an Officer Programs Recruiter for your package. Of course, your CCC will work with you on that. You can take the ASTB at any Officer Programs Recruiting Office. The scores are accessible from NAMI for your active duty package. If you are in Lemore check with NRD Los Angeles or NRD San Francisco to see where the nearest office that can accommodate you.

romey77

If you are active duty you will not work with an Officer Programs Recruiter for your package. Of course, your CCC will work with you on that. You can take the ASTB at any Officer Programs Recruiting Office. The scores are accessible from NAMI for your active duty package. If you are in Lemore check with NRD Los Angeles or NRD San Francisco to see where the nearest office that can accommodate you.

Actually, I think that the closest recruiting office for you will be the one in Fresno. Look them up, call them, and set up a time for the ASTB, it is computer based and it doesn't take them long to set up. Areas to concentrate on: pretty much everything, but I'd put a bit more emphasis on the spatial aperception part- they don't give you much time for each picture and if you don't move fast enough you won't have enough time to finish it. Good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya. probably an NRD OPO outpost in Fresno since the college is there. Don't know if that is NRD LA or San Fran.

amdo or bust

Thank you all for your inputs I will look into the recruiters in Fresno. I tried the recruiter in Visilia and they had no clue what I was talking about. I have been told that there is a MEPS station in San Jose that might be able to offer the test. It is rough to get stuff done, because I work the mid shift here. I am at work while everyone else is sleeping and I get off when everyone else is just waking up.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I did two cruises with VS-33 (CVW-9) as an AMDO (VFA-22, 146,147 in '03, VFA-146, 147, 154 in '05). Are you with a squadron or AIMD? If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

OCEberle

I'm in the STA-21 program in Memphis, TN. I used to be an AT1, don't want to drive boats and can't fly, so I want to go back to the aircraft maintenance community. I would have just waited until I made 1st class and applied for LDO, but I didn't ever think I'd pick up 1st. Picked it up last December, here while enroled in STA-21 and now I have one year of school left before I graduate.

Specifically what should I be doing to try to get into the AMDO community? ROTC units don't usually put people into restricted communities, but I am determined to be an exception. It's been done before, so I figure I can do it, too.

Thanks,
OC Eberle

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I'm at Oceana, but I took the ASTB through the Navy. My career counselor set it up for me, I am assuming yours will have the same connections. The local OSO had struck a deal with Navy Campus to use a classroom to administer the test, and in turn he administered the test to active duty folks as well.

I'm sure if you ask around at your command enough, someone will know something. Also check with the ESO.

This site has a ton of good gouge for the ASTB, and your degree is what the community is looking for, from what I'm told.

Cheers,
-Paul

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in the STA-21 program in Memphis, TN. I used to be an AT1, don't want to drive boats and can't fly, so I want to go back to the aircraft maintenance community. I would have just waited until I made 1st class and applied for LDO, but I didn't ever think I'd pick up 1st. Picked it up last December, here while enroled in STA-21 and now I have one year of school left before I graduate.

Specifically what should I be doing to try to get into the AMDO community? ROTC units don't usually put people into restricted communities, but I am determined to be an exception. It's been done before, so I figure I can do it, too.

Thanks,
OC Eberle

The AMDO community is getting much smaller over the next two or three years. I believe the number I heard was down by half over three years. Since you are an active duty maintainer I would HIGHLY recommend getting interviews and letters of recommendation from current AMDOs. It is a small enough community that those types of recommendations can mean alot. You will need to really break out.

amdo or bust

Thisguy I am currently with AIMD, but have orders to go to VFA-41. I would appreciate any help and maybe a look at my package once I get it completed.

amdo or bust

Wink, My current plan is to get at least 2 of my interviewers to be AMDO's. I am hoping that my some of the ones in my current can and here at the command will either put in a good word or write me a letter of recommendation.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Thisguy I am currently with AIMD, but have orders to go to VFA-41. I would appreciate any help and maybe a look at my package once I get it completed.

You're probably better off asking your chain-of-command to look at your package. I'd be happy to discuss what kind of jobs AMDOs do (at the squadron level) and answer any sort of questions you may have about the community.

Best of luck with the app!

Status
Not open for further replies.