• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

I have a question, I'm wanting to go right to people that know, I keep hearing rumors...Someone told me they do a spinal tap to check for drugs on the flight physical, I know for a fact that involves a very large needle. I'm curious if this is true, if not how do they test? Pee, or hair, or *gulping* spinal...Before I tell the person trying to scare me they are full of it, I'd like to know the facts.

Also, I'm a very strong swimmer, however; I've always sucked at floating. For my lifeguard cert, I just had to float for like a minute and I would just give little twitches with my hands to give me enough drag on the water to keep me from sinking. Is this going to be a serious show stopper at OCS or API?

gt0767a

There are no spinal taps for a drug test. Drug testing is done via urinalysis (you pee in a cup). There is nothing to worry about.

ghost_ttu

Thanks, I had a hard time believing they would do that.

Do you have a comment on the floating thing? I mean I can float, but after about 30 seconds my legs start sinking and pull me down, meaning that I just give myself a flick of the wrist and I keep floating. In flight gear I would think that I'd just sink, do they let you give yourself any propulsion to keep afloat?

gt0767a

I haven't gotten that far yet. But when I did it at OCS, you float for several minutes, but you can come up for air about every 15-30 seconds (basically to breathe). When you do that you can boost yourself back to the surface. They will work with you if you need the help. Hope that helps.

ghost_ttu

appreciate the answer, I've done it like that before, I'm sure I'll get yelled at for moving forward, but I'll deal. Did they do a flight physical before you swear in? I know you get one before you go to primary. Basically I should hear the 14th or 21st of this month if I get a contract. I'm told that it will happen though. My OCS date probably wont' be until Jan. 03 though. My thing is I've never had medical problems, but you know how nervous you can be on the flight physical, never know what they might find. I'm making $70k right now, and following my dream is important, I'm hoping that I get a flight physical before I leave for OCS, so I will feel confident that I'm not going to get any suprises.

Mahoney

Ghost,
Don't stress over the tread and float! Yes, it's difficult with the flight gear on but if you don't panic you won't have a problem. They will have you do it in stages throughout the first three weeks, ie. first time just you and your bathing suit, then in a flightsuit, then flightsuit, boots, gloves and vest, followed by the whole shabang. You will be asked to tread for 2 minutes then roll over and float for 3. If you're doing the float properly you should come up for air every 5 to 8 seconds. This interval doesn't give you time to sink very far if indeed you are a sinker. When you go back down after your breath just give a little kick with your legs and a slight push with your arms and you'll be surprised at how easy it is. The one thing that gets people is PANICING. They aren't good swimmers and therefore get exhausted on the tread so when it comes time to float they've got nothing left. The other thing is the helmet. Wearing the helmut in the pool freaks some people out. I can't stress enough that the key to ALL the swimming evolutions (especially the dunker)is simply to relax.
Good luck,
Mahoney

Status
Not open for further replies.