• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight physical dental

DPS2114

Flight Physical Question-Dental

I have heard that during your flight physical the doc gives you a dental exam to determine if you have any defects that would effect barometric pressure in flight. Long story short I was born without one of my molars. When I had braces the orthodontist but a space maintainer in which I still have today and I could have for the rest of my life if I want.

Basically I have a metal brace around one of my molars and a small metal rod that connects to the next molar so my teeth don’t shift into the empty space. I haven’t gotten it fixed because its about 2K out of pocket to get a fake tooth and I cannot see this metal so in my mind there was no reason to fix it. My OCS date is July 20 and I could get a fake tooth before then but if I don’t have to spend the money I don’t want to.

1.) Would this disqualify me? What other dental fixtures would disqualify me? (A fake tooth requires a crown)

2.) In the future if I wanted this fix would the navy do this for free?

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
1.) Would this disqualify me? What other dental fixtures would disqualify me? (A fake tooth requires a crown)

2.) In the future if I wanted this fix would the navy do this for free?
1.) Don't know the commissioning requirements, but it wouldn't DQ you from flying. Don't know of any metal fixtures, prosthetics, braces, crowns, etc that would. Maybe if your jaw was wired shut, but that's just a guess.
2.) Yes, though it may take months, if not longer, to get the initial appointment to come up with a course of action and months, if not longer, to go through the procedure.