• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flat Feet

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
So here is my situation as it stands. I am an applicant for the Naval Academy Class of 2013 and I have flat feet. I have a medical waiver from DODMERB for this condition, and they have never caused me any type of pain or discomfort before now. I used to have special shoes that were designed to give me arch support, but I have not worn them in 2+ years now.

Unfortunately, today while I was jogging I have been having slight pain, but more of a discomfort in my ankles. It is at the front outside part, where the shin bones actually meet my foot.

My question is, if I go see a podiatrist about this and get orthotic shoes, will I have to reapply for a waiver, or will the existing one be fine as is?

I tried a search and nothing came up.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Orthotic shoes? Do you mean orthotic inserts?

I had custom orthotic inserts and I don't think I even needed a waiver. Same thing, super flat feet and severe overpronation.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I have slightly flat feet, apparently. I didn't even know about it until MEPS, and no one seemed to care.

Pain in your feet can come from a lot of things, like running a different surface, distance, or in different shoes. Unless you're 100% sure that flat feet are causing you pain and it's actually interfering with your ability to run, I wouldn't go to a doctor about it... You might just have a slight case of shin splints.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Buy motion control running shoes. I would suggest these, they saved my legs at OCS.

EDIT - the motion control rec is because that's what flat-footed people usually need. Best thing to do is go to a running shoe store and have them analyze your pronation on a treadmill.

nugget61

pilot
Try a running store first - I did that and new shoes stopped my shin splints while taking about 20 seconds off my mile in the first wearing. Mizunos are expensive but totally worth it.

Bevo16

pilot
I have flat feet and the Navy pays for me to get two new sets of orthotic inserts each year. If flat feet are a problem, nobody has mentioned it to me for the past 12 years.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all of the responses so far, I think I am going to try and get to a running store this weekend.

I am not going to rule out shin splints, but that seems unusual as I have been running the same route for about a month and a half now and I was running before that too. I also have been doing a lot more walking than I am used to(walking campus at my college) and it's been mostly in my flip-flops so I am going to start wearing my shoes around.

Thanks AW, helpful as usual.

EDIT: Yes I did mean Class of 2013, I got wait-listed for 2012 :icon_rage

Renegade One

None
I have flat feet and the Navy pays for me to get two new sets of orthotic inserts each year. If flat feet are a problem, nobody has mentioned it to me for the past 12 years.

bevo, we can only assume you came in in a small year group and "we needed the dues".:icon_tong

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Thanks for all of the responses so far, I think I am going to try and get to a running store this weekend.

I am not going to rule out shin splints, but that seems unusual as I have been running the same route for about a month and a half now and I was running before that too. I also have been doing a lot more walking than I am used to(walking campus at my college) and it's been mostly in my flip-flops so I am going to start wearing my shoes around.

Thanks AW, helpful as usual.

EDIT: Yes I did mean Class of 2013, I got wait-listed for 2012 :icon_rage

Could be that your flat feet are causing shin pain. I think you would be better served by seeing a podiatrist; however you might consider this store instead: http://www.goodfeet.com/ Google shin splints, (on this forum) there is a lot of good gouge posted. If you don't get your questions fully answered, post again.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I was worried about this during my commissioning physical and had my mind put to rest when an old Army flight doc told me that the only time flat feet have ever been an issue (since Vietnam, anyway) was if you have a rigid flat foot (i.e., your foot doesn't relax into an arched shape when unloaded). A flexible flat foot like you and most flatfoots out there probably have is actually preferable to having a high arch.

However, if you have a rigid flat foot, see the above...

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
EDIT - the motion control rec is because that's what flat-footed people usually need. Best thing to do is go to a running shoe store and have them analyze your pronation on a treadmill.

Try a running store first - I did that and new shoes stopped my shin splints while taking about 20 seconds off my mile in the first wearing. Mizunos are expensive but totally worth it.

Best advice you can get. I went to a place that analyzes your gait, stride, foot strike pattern, etc. etc. Not only did they hook me up with the exact shoes I needed, causing my shin splints to vanish instantly, but they helped me slightly alter how my heel strikes the ground, giving me a strikingly more fluid and comfortable stride.