• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flags of Our Fathers

JWL

This story is a tad old, but here it goes anyway:

The other day I watched Flags of Our Fathers for the first time. The movie was filmed in 2006 and directed by none of other than Clint Eastwood.

The movie was based on a book authored by James Bradley, the son of John Bradley, the navy corpsman who was thought to be one of the men who was in the famous picture of marines hoisting the American flag on Iwo Jima in February 1945. It was also thought that marine Private Rene Gagnon as also one of the men who was in the picture.

However, in 2016, advanced digital technology forced the Marine Corps to conclude that Bradley was not in the photo after all. Then, in 2019, the same technology prompted the Marine Corps to announce the Gagnon was not in the photo, either.

Now, every man who landed as Iwo Jima was a hero, in one way or another. In particular, Bradley was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions on Iwo Jima (he saved a marine's life while placing his own life at great risk). However, both Bradley and Gagnon must have known all along that they were not in the famous picture. Yet, they allowed the American public to think otherwise. They took the truth with them to their graves.

So, the question is:

Are Bradley and Gagnon still heroes, complete and disgraceful frauds, or both?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This story is a tad old, but here it goes anyway:

The other day I watched Flags of Our Fathers for the first time. The movie was filmed in 2006 and directed by none of other than Clint Eastwood.

The movie was based on a book authored by James Bradley, the son of John Bradley, the navy corpsman who was thought to be one of the men who was in the famous picture of marines hoisting the American flag on Iwo Jima in February 1945. It was also thought that marine Private Rene Gagnon as also one of the men who was in the picture.

However, in 2016, advanced digital technology forced the Marine Corps to conclude that Bradley was not in the photo after all. Then, in 2019, the same technology prompted the Marine Corps to announce the Gagnon was not in the photo, either.

Now, every man who landed as Iwo Jima was a hero, in one way or another. In particular, Bradley was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions on Iwo Jima (he saved a marine's life while placing his own life at great risk). However, both Bradley and Gagnon must have known all along that they were not in the famous picture. Yet, they allowed the American public to think otherwise. They took the truth with them to their graves.

So, the question is:

Are Bradley and Gagnon still heroes, complete and disgraceful frauds, or both?
Too simple an outlook. The Marines on Iwo did not have access to the image, only a demand that the people in the photo were to be pulled off the island for a war bond tour. Both Bradley and Gagnon did, in fact, raise a flag...on the same rock. Some of the guys in the photo were already dead and the pressure to have living heroes for a bond drive was intense. So, in the end, the stateside people got what they wanted...some guys who raised “a” flag on Iwo. Bradley’s book does a far better job of detailing the controversy and how each man dealt with it.

But, if you really need an answer, read the last line of Gregory Boyington’s book “Baa Baa Black Sheep.”

jmcquate

Contributor
Griz, who's got the second flag? Smithsonian? I know the first is at the Cathedral in Quantico.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Griz, who's got the second flag? Smithsonian? I know the first is at the Cathedral in Quantico.
Both of them belong to the Corps. Just recently the museum had both on display, a rare treat.

JWL

Too simple an outlook. The Marines on Iwo did not have access to the image, only a demand that the people in the photo were to be pulled off the island for a war bond tour. Both Bradley and Gagnon did, in fact, raise a flag...on the same rock. Some of the guys in the photo were already dead and the pressure to have living heroes for a bond drive was intense. So, in the end, the stateside people got what they wanted...some guys who raised “a” flag on Iwo. Bradley’s book does a far better job of detailing the controversy and how each man dealt with it.

But, if you really need an answer, read the last line of Gregory Boyington’s book “Baa Baa Black Sheep.”
Thanks. Admittedly, I have not read either book. Perhaps they are worth checking out.

0621 Hertz

I haven't read the book in years but I remember James describes growing up with his Dad and how he hardly talks about the war. The book heavily implies it was survivors guilt because his best friend died on Iwo.

There is a further truth to the matter here, he was also guilty about becoming famous for something he didn't do. Chances are he knew it, and brought it up perhaps, but also I'm sure in the chaos after the battle the word was they were looking for the "flag raisers" and not much else. And once stateside he was probably told to be silent about how he wasn't in the "famous" photo.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Doc Bradley, Gagnon and Hayes where ordered off the island for a war bond tour and informed in a sense that further discussion on the matter was not welcome, they carried out their orders. They fought a brutal battle in a brutal theater of a brutal war. It irritates me that these so called "historians" always seem to pick Memorial Day and Veterans day to start kicking this particular dog instead of honoring and thanmking all of those who served and also those who never had a chance to come home. * Okay rant mode is now off*