• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fitness

Status
Not open for further replies.

marti

I am going to do a little venting here for a minute.

I am a prior enlisted squid so what I am about to bitch about I feel I have every right to bitch about. (did that just make any sense?) Those of you that are planning on being a Marine, or just entertaining the thought listen up. The first thing I will say is that the people on this forum that are posting run times over 12 minutes and push ups and sit ups in the 50's and 60's are making my stomach turn. If that's the best you can do to make yourself look good for a program you need to put some time into getting off your ass and not posting your sob story of rejection or even being as ignorant as to ask others on here why they think you didn't get in. Trust me, the Navy has enough fat lazy enlisted people to make up for your absence. I knew so many people when I was in that could barely even finsh the PRT much less pass it. It made me sick then and it really discourages me know. The sad thing is that the Navy really doesn't give a shit. They only have those standards to make sure they can weed out a few more people here and there. If you are running in the high 11's and barely getting out the push-ups and sit-ups don't worry about it. If you have any endurance at all I have every bit of confidence that you will make it through OCS. The Navy just does not put that much emphasis on physical fitness. What the Navy needs is some officers that will lead by example and make it a priority to get their people off their fat asses. Go in with the intention of being a leader first and being an aviator second.

I have yet to make my final descisions about whether or not to go Navy or Marine Corps, but the attitude of people who feel that just making the grade is good enough really pisses me off. There are many fine Naval officers out their that in writing this post I wish not to offend, but for god's sake you guys. I am no poster child for physical fitness but even when I had been a two pack a day smoker I made an OT on every one of my prt's (old standards).

I posted this on the Marine portion of this forum because I feel that it is the Marines and the future Marines on this forum that should have an idea (if they don't already) of what sets them apart from everyone else. The Marines have always been the finest looking branch out there simply because they stay in shape. Why do they stay in shape? Because they have pride. Pride in themselves and pride in the Marine Corps itself. I will make two promises to you right now 1. you will never see a fat Marine 2. You will see sailor during your career that looks like a huge white tick that's about to pop wearing a dixie cup.
Anyway, Next time your running the PFT or just out there running to run keep what I have just said in mind. That goes for you Navy guys too. -Marti

O.k. Fire away

Lt_SNA_USMC

Well said. But may I also add:
Marines are held to a higher standard of physical fitness because of the nature of their specialty: expeditionary warfare. We as Marines are required to be physically capable to deploy into any and every God-forsaken hell-hole and fight in a minute's notice. That's why we are held to such exacting standards. But all else considered, well said Marti.
Lt. Williamson, USMC

ghost_ttu

I really can't comment on this. I completely agree and I'm completely pissed at myself for letting my endurance slack. I am almost to the point that I can max the pu and su portion of the PRT. But I can't run a damn 12:00 1.5 mile. I need to get a new command for my short lil legs. "Feet get to moving!"

kaiangel

In a way I agree, but it also besides the point. I have been in the Navy for 6 years and have often been ashamed of some of my fellow sailors appearance. However, the truth is that it really is not that important to our mission. While enlisted, I worked in electronics and many of the best techs who might end up saving everyone's ass by getting the gear working are by no means physically fit. Certain jobs in the Navy require higher standards, and those communities enforce those. Having worked with Marines, I am impressed with these military bearing, smart uniform appearance, and physical fitness. However, I can honestly say that in comparable job specialties the Navy often performs better, even if they do not look good doing it. Just my opinion though.

Tessone

The only problem I have with that mentality is that there are no "rear echelon types" anymore. You never know when terrorists may hijack your ship or the enemy might infiltrate your camp. Ideally, every man and woman in the armed forces (note the terminology there) should be in good fighting condition. Just because someone is a clerk or electronics technician doesn't mean they're never going to have to fire a gun or retreat from an attacker.

In response to marti, not everyone comes to the military from a football team or wrestling squad. Officers must be in both good physical and mental condition. For me, the latter is very easy. I've always been bookish. However, that book knowledge has come at the expense of being pretty scrawny most of my life. I'm kicking my ass out on the PT field right now getting into shape, but it doesn't happen overnight. Likewise, that guy who can run 3 miles in 18 minutes and crank out 20 pullups might have to study for hours and hours to get a good OAR or get through flight school. In the end, who's to say who will be the better officer if both people are motivated to fix their shortcomings?

Status
Not open for further replies.