• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First time taking ASTB; here's where I'm at now

BlueSky94

The exam was taken at NRD Houston about 2 months ago and I was pretty surprised by the results:

57 7/6/6

The OAR was the part which I vastly underestimated, mostly due to the hard math questions that the exam contained. The Naval aviation/history section was the part that I did best on (WWII fan here). The PFAR/FOFAR scores were, as expected, a bit low compared to where I should be since I haven't done flight simulation for like 3 years. I'll work on those skills during the summer as I might re-take the exam again.

My GPA right now is 3.02 and I recently changed my major to Mathematics with a physics minor. I already have 3 recommendation letters, one from the (soon-to-be) Dean of the Physics department at my college.

Your thoughts?

nightflaw

Disclaimer: my packet hasn't been before a board yet, so the following is based solely on what I've read on this site :)

Your ASTB and GPA are average or slightly above average. It sounds like you are applying for SNA or SNFO, and from what I've heard, the ASTB is the most important piece of your packet. Since you're a junior, you have plenty of time to retake it (you must wait 6 months between test attempts.) If you didn't study for it last time, do so this time and your scores will skyrocket. Look through some of the other threads in the ASTB section of the forum and you will see recommendations for study material.

I don't think a flight sim would be much help for improving your pilot scores. If you're referring to the part at the end where you get a joystick and throttle, I was told that doesn't count toward your score.

Since you're in college, you could also join a sports team, get a leadership role somewhere, or volunteer for community service. All of those things look good on an application...but again, focus on the ASTB.

And if any of this is wrong, I'm sure a more experienced member will correct me :)