• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First choice for a new 1835 - OPINTEL or HUMINT?

bluemarlin04

So you are familiar with all of the HUMINT opportunities in the USNR for officers?
Yes. I am. I just finished 9 years as an active duty 1830 working DA targeting. I know what I’m talking about and am not going to post my resume because I’d prefer to keep some anonymity online.

DSDC is debriefing. You cannot even run sources. You’re a complete tool if you tell people you’re a HUMINTer and all you did was a three week course and can write debrief reports.

Unless you’re CAT 1 running actual sources you’re not doing HUMINT ops. Notice the difference? DSDC is NOT HUMINT operations. Not even close.

bluemarlin04

that isn’t to say Debriefs can’t bring valuable intel to the tabel but it’s a far stretch to call yourself a HUMINTer

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Yes. I am. I just finished 9 years as an active duty 1830 working DA targeting. I know what I’m talking about and am not going to post my resume because I’d prefer to keep some anonymity online.

DSDC is debriefing. You cannot even run sources. You’re a complete tool if you tell people you’re a HUMINTer and all you did was a three week course and can write debrief reports.

Unless you’re CAT 1 running actual sources you’re not doing HUMINT ops. Notice the difference? DSDC is NOT HUMINT operations. Not even close.
I have never seen anyone gatekeeping whats HUMINT. Completion of DSDC awards you the AQD which is titled HUMINT. There are probably more overt HUMINT Collectors than the Clan side and most are only graduates of DSDC. Are there no clan assignments for reservists?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Completion of DSDC awards you the AQD which is titled HUMINT.
I have an AQD for Command Duty Officer/Underway for a NIMITZ class carrier. This doesn't make me a ship driver, nor would any ship CO allow me to drive their ship. I would look extremely foolish to claim otherwise.

Having an AQD doesn't mean shit.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I have an AQD for Command Duty Officer/Underway for a NIMITZ class carrier. This doesn't make me a ship driver, nor would any ship CO allow me to drive their ship. I would look extremely foolish to claim otherwise.

Having an AQD doesn't mean shit.
This is whataboutism and strategic debriefing is most certainly a function of HUMINT.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We're to give our top two preferences and I'm vacillating between an OPINTEL-focused unit and a HUMINT-focused unit. The OPINTEL one is attractive because it's much larger, will give me a better understanding of "big Navy" operations, and likely help me finish my PQS and get my pin faster. But the HUMINT one is doing some fascinating stuff and has some amazing training opportunities. So curious to hear folks thoughts on specializing early vs. the more traditional route of OPINTEL first and then specialize. (I also realize this decision is just for a short IAP stint and the choice won't really matter until the next JO APPLY cycle, but likely I'll apply for a billet in the unit I'm IAP in)

For the OP, back to your original question I would start my career by concentrating on the bread and butter of what Navy Intel does and that is the traditional OPINTEL. HUMINT is just a single discipline and relatively specialized so I think professionally it would make more sense to get a good baseline of general intel knowledges before jumping into one speciality. That also gives you more flexibility in where you may be able to go and what you can do as you move along with your career, including HUMINT in the future.

As for the peanut gallery arguing over what may or may not be HUMINT, you all need to dial back a little.

bluemarlin04

PACFLT or ONI is your best bet.

Aviation in Fallon is also a great place to learn and where I started as an ENS in the airwing but I don’t know if you can go there as an ENS reservist.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Aviation in Fallon is also a great place to learn and where I started as an ENS in the airwing but I don’t know if you can go there as an ENS reservist.
You need to complete your PQS quals first before you can screen for NAWDC. It's a pre-req for that reserve unit.

nodropinufaka

I have never seen anyone gatekeeping whats HUMINT. Completion of DSDC awards you the AQD which is titled HUMINT. There are probably more overt HUMINT Collectors than the Clan side and most are only graduates of DSDC.

From what it looked like @bluemarlin04 was trying to say was that graduating DSDC does not make you a HUMINTer (I agree) vice that Debriefing isn’t a part of HUMINT.

To your second point regarding Overt HUMINT collection and only being graduates of DSDC that is incorrect. You’re confusing debriefing and responding to overt HCRs.