• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finding a mentor

LuckyMcFly

Jacob, I think you are confusing people by stating different goals. Is your goal Pilot, NFO, or both? It also might be of use to tell people more about yourself.

Jacob B McNeece

Pilot. Im 26, a recent grad, and have zero experience flying planes. My grades in college were average (3.0gpa), vision is good, and have no medical issues.

I've been reviewing study books for the astb for a few weeks now and am starting to get some basic aviation knowledge. But it sounds like I'm getting ahead of myself before knowing the difference between an NFO and a pilot.

Renegade One

None
Pilots actually fly the aircraft, and in single-seat aircraft, obviously have to do everything else as well: comms, navigation, sensor tasking, weapons (or other payloads) control and release, yadda yadda yadda. Think F/A-18C/Es, AV-8s and F-35s.

In aircraft that require Naval Flight Officers (F/A-18F, EF/A-18G, E-2, P-3/P-8/P-6, etc.) pilots still do all of the actual stick and rudder work, but will split the mission-specific load and operation of all the various and sundry on-board systems and mission tasks with the NFO(s). How much and to what extent is platform specific, as is the number of pilots and NFOs in the aircraft. The E-2/C-2s and the "big wing" land-based aircraft with large crews also have enlisted Naval Aircrewmen (NAC) who might handle sensors, expendables, perhaps SIGINT/ELINT portions of the mission, or serve as crew chiefs, loadmasters, door gunners, SAR swimmers, etc. as well.

No NFOs in helicopters, but I think all have at least one enlisted NAC who may have multiple tasks to perform.

All aircraft obviously need pilots. Many require NFOs and/or Aircrewmen as well due to mission complexity and platform specifics.

Thus endeth today's VERY basic lesson.