• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Financial Assistance Program

Bullitt01

I've asked this question on the MarineOCS.com forum with no response and cannot seem to find anything via the search function on this forum either. I leave for PLC Jr's in May and have heard that because I am a contracted AIR/SNA candidate I would not incur any additional length to my commitment if I were to accept the FAP because Aviators/NFOs already have such lengthy service obligations already and the added 6 months of service is sort of nullified. Can anyone comment on whether or not this is accurate? I could really use the financial assistance during my remaining time at school. I'd call my OSA but I'm sure I bug him with enough questions already. :icon_tong

djj34

pilot
By all means do it. I've taken it out twice now, and will do so for my last semester too. An additional $1575 direct deposit doesn't hurt if you're 100% serious about the program. Depending on which increment you end up going to, and because MyPay takes a while to send you your PIN, you will want to get on that the ASAP after you get back from Quantico to make it in time for the fall semester deadline. If not you may have to wait until Dec/Jan.

candidate2010

I am Jr's complete and have an Air contract. According to my OSO- the 6 month extension still applies. At least thats what he told me when I put in for it. But come one, what is six months extra?:icon_wink

I've been taking FAP since I completed Juniors. My OSO said that for Pilot contracts, it's practically free money. A typical commitment is 8 years whether its 3 years of active duty and 5 years of time in the Inactive Ready Reserve or 5 years of active duty and 3 years of IRR or whatever. How my OSO explained it to me was that for a ground Officer, the 6 month extra commitment would come from the IRR time. Since aviation contracts have such a long active duty commitment, there is no time spent in the IRR after the initial commitment is over. So, there's no 6 month extension.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Uh, not quite unless the commitment contracts have changed. An 8 year commitment is 8 years Active Duty, post-winging. Fixed wing is currently about 2-2 1/2 years to wing plus 8 years gives you 10 years active duty. Enlisted sign an 8 year contract, but it's 4 active/4 IRR. When I took FAP 12 years ago or so, it was 6 months on top of your contractual obligation...so about 10 years plus 6 months. This may have changed though.

Bullitt01

Uh, not quite unless the commitment contracts have changed. An 8 year commitment is 8 years Active Duty, post-winging. Fixed wing is currently about 2-2 1/2 years to wing plus 8 years gives you 10 years active duty. Enlisted sign an 8 year contract, but it's 4 active/4 IRR. When I took FAP 12 years ago or so, it was 6 months on top of your contractual obligation...so about 10 years plus 6 months. This may have changed though.

Well, I'm feeling more and more that another 6 months simply won't matter when I already have a potential obligation of 10 years or more.. I mean, I could REALLY use the extra money now and if I can survive & thrive as an aviator in the Marine Corps for so long then what's a few extra months of service? You sir, would know far better than myself, do you feel as if you're going to be chomping at the bit to finish that final 6 months of your obligation??

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I would take it again in a heartbeat! That's good money for a minimal contractual extension. You always have the option of paying it back vice sticking around for 6 more months if you've got a job that can't wait for you. Now the Captains bonus they offered a couple years or so ago for an additional year of service? They can F- themselves...it was an insult to be offered basically $1700? when I was in the process of reenlisting dirtbag Corporals for $90,000 tax free just so we could get to 202k. Take the FAP!

Bullitt01

I would take it again in a heartbeat! That's good money for a minimal contractual extension. You always have the option of paying it back vice sticking around for 6 more months if you've got a job that can't wait for you. Now the Captains bonus they offered a couple years or so ago for an additional year of service? They can F- themselves...it was an insult to be offered basically $1700? when I was in the process of reenlisting dirtbag Corporals for $90,000 tax free just so we could get to 202k. Take the FAP!

$90,000!!!! :bigeyes2_ GOOD GOD... Better a dirtbag Marine Corporal than another 90k handbag for Kim Kardashian I guess. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up. It sounds like a no brainer and will make the remainder of my time at college significantly more bearable. Thanks, sir.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
In an effort to resurrect a thread ten years later (almost to the day), I'm EASing next year and am lining up my civilian plan. The only unknown is the FAP service extension. I too was told (in 2007) that it doesn't apply to aviation and only ties into your initial MINIMUM service obligation (48 months, the 72/96 month contract gets tacked on post winging). I've got a message into MMOA but don't expect a speedy reply.

Anybody EAS and have experience with this? I'd be willing to pay the ~$12k back to EAS early, if it comes to that. Solid interest free loan.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
In an effort to resurrect a thread ten years later (almost to the day), I'm EASing next year and am lining up my civilian plan. The only unknown is the FAP service extension. I too was told (in 2007) that it doesn't apply to aviation and only ties into your initial MINIMUM service obligation (48 months, the 72/96 month contract gets tacked on post winging). I've got a message into MMOA but don't expect a speedy reply.

Anybody EAS and have experience with this? I'd be willing to pay the ~$12k back to EAS early, if it comes to that. Solid interest free loan.

I'll answer my own question here. Monitor got back to me and the six month extension DOES apply to aviation contracts. There is an option to re-pay the money to get out of that extension obligation, which is the route I'm going. Hope this helps somebody else out in a decade.