• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting Two Hundred And Ninth Returns from Iraq...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
My favorite was how one local station kept referring to the unit as "VAQ-Two-Hundred and Ninth Squadron"; at least the Washington Times can get the name right....:)

Navy air unit returns from Iraq flight duty
By Arlo Wagner
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
September 14, 2006

More than 100 sailors with the Navy's Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron (VAQ) 209 returned to Andrews Air Force Base yesterday after flying more than 280 combat missions and racking up more than 1,460 flight hours in Iraq.
As they stepped off a white Boeing 757, the 110 sailors were greeted by cheers from friends and families who gathered on the tarmac to welcome back the crew from VAQ-209. The sailors were in Iraq for three months.
Seconds after he left the plane, William Mottem, 26, a hospital corpsman, held his 8-month-old son, Andrew, clad in a blue- and white-striped outfit.
"He's learned to say 'dada,'" said Andrew's mother, Angela Mottem, 26. Andrew was only 5 months old when his father last held him.
Dressed in camouflage uniforms, the sailors stepped off the plane just before noon after a 15-hour flight from Kuwait. Sixty more sailors were set to arrive yesterday afternoon and this morning, said Cmdr. Marco Cromartie of the Naval Air Facility Washington.
"How many of you want to go home and spend time with your family?" Cmdr. Cromartie asked the sailors, and smiled when he heard applause.
"OK. Come back next week and get back to work," he said.
The sailors were happy to return to Andrews, and none expressed fear of their duties at Al Asad Airfield in Anbar province in Iraq. Their duties included enforcing the "no-fly" zone over Iraq and detecting and destroying improvised explosive devices.
Cmdr. Cromartie said he didn't see any fear among the sailors.
"What I see in their eyes is determination," he said. "They did a great job."

East

东部
Contributor
Welcome home, enjoy the time with your loved ones.

Attachments

• 209WAlogo.gif
    209WAlogo.gif
    40.4 KB · Views: 72

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
This may seem obvious to everyone else, but does that read that they get to come home for the week, and then go back to Iraq??

If so, thats rough that they have to go back, but I have never heard of that before. Pretty cool of the Cmdr. to arrange that for them.

Also, nearly 1500 hours in 3 months seems like a ton. Good work. Glad to hear they are safe and back home for a bit.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
I think they have a week off and then return to Andrews.

What it sounds like...

The sailors were happy to return to Andrews, and none expressed fear of their duties at Al Asad Airfield in Anbar province in Iraq. Their duties included