• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fiancé has a masters in criminology. Anyone know how NCIS works and if they hire military spouse and work with PCS.

Dwhite1017

I’ll be joining the CEC in a few years, I’m currently a collegiate. My fiancé has a masters in criminology and would like to work for NCIS considering they’ll be located at every location I go to. Does anyone have any experience with this or something similar? Do these federal agencies generally work with PCS orders? Do they like to hire military spouses?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They do their hiring through USAJobs. At the same time you're doing your research on here and anywhere else, I'd keep an eye on the postings on that site. It's easy to search, they post the job requirements and preferential qualifications, and there are job hunting/resume prep services out there that are well versed in what government hiring departments are looking for.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
I worked with a few NCIS agents as Legal Officer over the years. Most of them were career LEOs who started somewhere else - PD, Sheriff, etc, but at least one was a military spouse. I don't know how freely they will let you relocate, but I do know that they have their own career requirements for moves and deployments - training time at FLETC, an afloat "tour" on a carrier, overseas stations, things like that. If he/she is willing to put themselves out there, there are plenty of SAs with public LinkedIn profiles - send one of them a message and ask for an info session. Chances are someone will help them out.

exNavyOffRec

I used to be next to the NCIS table at career fairs all the time, last time I saw one at a career fair was 3 years ago and like was said above they have their own career path, given how few NCIS agents there are in some of these places, especially for afloat tours the question maybe should be will the USN work with her career.

The other thing that was mentioned above is they often the agents started somewhere else, for several years if you didn't have prior military service odds of getting picked were nearly zero, every NCIS agent I have met either at a recruiting fair or other meeting was either prior service or had other LE experience prior to joining.

I will look for the contact info on the agent I knew, it has been years but if I can find it I will PM it to you.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I’ll be joining the CEC in a few years, I’m currently a collegiate. My fiancé has a masters in criminology and would like to work for NCIS considering they’ll be located at every location I go to. Does anyone have any experience with this or something similar? Do these federal agencies generally work with PCS orders? Do they like to hire military spouses?

I worked with NCIS and CGIS quite a bit while I was a SWO. First stop for you and her: https://www.ncis.navy.mil/Careers/

NCIS is like many other Federal LE organizations and prioritizes veterans and prior-LEOs. That's at least for special agents. Analysts and the rear echelon folks have different requirements and most I've worked with are prior-service with specialties in a particular area. If she has no Navy experience or special expertise, it may not be a good fit. Also, most of the NCIS personnel at many bases are special agents and there are usually only a handful. The larger the base, the more there are, but they're there to do routine investigations and handle other issues. As @Angry said, they have career requirements that will compete with yours in order for her to advance. As with any military spouse with a professional career, you two will eventually have to choose whose career takes precedence. That will mean you will spend lots of time apart and may not even be stationed together due to her having to hit career wickets to remain viable.

If you are looking for a job she can do that allows her to move with you every time you change duty stations (Nominally every 2 to 3 years), then she should look into working at the CDC (DoD-provided daycare), DoD Schools, or Fleet and Family Services.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Depends on the NCIS position. Admin/support personnel generally do not PCS so not really, unless there’s an existing opening at a location and the spouse is hired into it, it wouldn’t be a great fit for consistent employment.

Special Agents do PCS and they do tend to spousal colocate in the event of Navy/Marine service member PCS. There may be some gotchas like a Field Office in same geographic area but not a NCISRA on the same base, or a 12 month Agent afloat tour en route.

It’s not uncommon to find NCIS agents who are married to a service member in major fleet concentration areas and DC. It’s rare at smaller stations.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I worked with NCIS and CGIS quite a bit while I was a SWO. First stop for you and her: https://www.ncis.navy.mil/Careers/

NCIS is like many other Federal LE organizations and prioritizes veterans and prior-LEOs. That's at least for special agents. Analysts and the rear echelon folks have different requirements and most I've worked with are prior-service with specialties in a particular area. If she has no Navy experience or special expertise, it may not be a good fit. Also, most of the NCIS personnel at many bases are special agents and there are usually only a handful. The larger the base, the more there are, but they're there to do routine investigations and handle other issues. As @Angry said, they have career requirements that will compete with yours in order for her to advance. As with any military spouse with a professional career, you two will eventually have to choose whose career takes precedence. That will mean you will spend lots of time apart and may not even be stationed together due to her having to hit career wickets to remain viable.

If you are looking for a job she can do that allows her to move with you every time you change duty stations (Nominally every 2 to 3 years), then she should look into working at the CDC (DoD-provided daycare), DoD Schools, or Fleet and Family Services.
NAVFAC is another good place to get employed that is everywhere.