• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FERS - Buying back military AD service time - is it worth it?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Pags thats what I am thinking - I submitted my request for my Estimated Earnings During Military Service to DFAS - will see what that comes back with. So assuming I stay in Federal Service until age 64, and I'm 56 now, that would give me 8 years military plus 8 years CIV. I was hired at a higher step level too so I need to see what credit I get for that. At a minimum that's 16 years though and easily qualify. Its interesting. I don't quite understand the nuances yet. I'll be curious to see what the buy back amount is: $4-5K?

Gave it a little more thought on a slow Saturday evening, here is some more info that came to mind.

If you plan to do 8 years as a GS on top of your 8 years in the Navy it is a no-brainer to buy your time. Instead of $5999 a year in retirement pay you would get $11,998, or $500 vs $1000 a month (if you retire as a GS-12 Step 5 with no locality pay, which is $74,991 a year now). I actually thought about it and since you served so very long ago (;)) you may be only looking at $4-5000 to buy in, a buddy of mine who got out in '04 with 8 years in owed ~$8000 to buy in. You would make up your investment in a year if those were the numbers, a pretty good deal if you ask me.

But wait, it gets better. If you retire at 62 or later you don't get 1% a year, you actually get 1.1% a year. The brings you to $13,198 a year instead of $11,998, $1100 a month for just eight years of service ain't too shabby.

Another thing to remember is your time in the military counts for leave purposes too. There are 3 levels of leave for the feds; 0-3 years, which gets you 4 hours of leave per pay period for 13 days a year, 3-15 years is 6 hours for 20 days a year and 15+ is 8 hours for 26 days a year. So you will start out with 20 days of leave a year vs 13, a big difference. Your DD214 to HR should suffice for that. You top out at 240 hours total of regular leave and if you exceed that you have to take before the end of the CY, use or lose. You also get 4 hours of sick leave per pay period, that doesn't top out ever. If your work offers it I would put in for the leave bank too, it is usually a one pay period donation a year and they have been fairly liberal if you need to use it where I work, better than having to send out an agency wide email begging for donations if shit happens.

Rockriver

pilot
Is the "buy back" of years typically worth it? What are the points/data to consider?

Thanks!
Hell, yes. I bought back nine years of time (combination of Navy time and pre-college part-time postal work.) I recouped my money within my first seven months of federal retirement and continue getting that extra 9% each year. It’s been a while, but if I recall correctly, the buy back is interest free during the first 3 years of your fed career. Even afterwards, it is/was a no-brainer.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
As already stated by everyone else- Buy your time back!

If you have any Reserve time, you can also buy back AT and ADT time if you have a copy of your orders and get DFAS to put that time period on the paperwork they send you. I was able to claim additional months of military time (with no DD-214) this way.

Best of luck to you. Also, make sure you keep a copy of all your buyback records (DFAS paperwork, etc).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Just pulled the trigger on my buyback. Best investment I will lilkely ever make. (coming up on my 3 year of GS service - so now was the time to do it)

1686769439709.png

Last edited: