• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc

Hi!
I posted this as a reply under "Where are all the women?" but realized that it might not be noticed, and therefore, not replied to. I imagine that these are questions that many women are interested in, so I hope that they get answered. Thanks.

1. I read on a post that some people carry their tampons in their pocket or sock. Is this just overlooked or were they so easily concealed? I know this is not supposed to occur, but I wonder how else you could carry a tampon.

2. Are trips to the head delayed, or when you "gotta go" do they let you go?

3. Do all underwear and bras have to be white, or can there be other colors when you are not wearing the white uniforms?

4. How many times a day do you do PT? I know that the runs are in the morning and from 2-5 miles at an 8 min. pace, but do you do more than the morning run and calisthenics?

5. Are electric razors allowed? I am sure that it would save us bony-knee people a lot of time.

6. Can we have face specific over the counter drugs or washes like cetaphil?

7. I understand that it is recommended that we all bring an extra blanket and a flashlight or headlamp. Since these are not on the formal list of things to bring will they be confiscated if not hidden? If so, where do we "hide" these things?

8. Are the girls' hair cuts a boy cut or can we have a bob cut or a Meg Ryan cut? I am not really concerned about this and doubt many women are, but I am curious about it. Might be a nice excuse to cut my hair before going!

Thanks for any answers that you can give. I am sure that I am not the only woman interested in the answers. Good luck!
-Mc

trvsmrtn

pilot
I'm a guy, but I think I can answer some of these. First off, are you talking about OCS or just boot camp?

1. I can't really speak for OCS, but in boot camp I believe the women carried tampons in their sock.
2. You are treated somewhat as an adult, and expected to act like one, so go when you have a chance. If you have to go in the middle of PT, there shouldn't be a problem.
3. Bras should be white. There's this liner on the inside of the CNT pants that hides your underwear so nobody can see what color or type of underwear you have on (I'm not sure about the cottons). In bootcamp all skivvies are white.
4. OCS, I don't know. Boot camp, it all depends on the company commander.
5. No electric razors in boot camp.
6. No OTC's. Anything you need you have to get from medical.
7. Boot camp, we couldn't keep anything. As soon as we arrived and got our smurf suits we mailed everything home. I wouldn't recommend hiding anything regardless. If you take anything that you can't have, just turn it over and you'll get it back in the end.
8. The "stylist" isn't going to ask if you want a perm. They're basically going to cut it to a certain length and go on to the next person.

I hope these kinda help. I would think that these questions refer to OCS, but you never know. Also keep in mind that alot has changed since I went to boot camp 9 years ago, so some of my answers may seem outdated. I know I damn sure didn't get 8 hours of sleep per night.

Mc

Thanks for replying in an adult manner. Most guys freak at questions about tampons! It is funny b/c we don't freak at the mention of "jock straps." Anyway, I meant to put this under the OCS board heading, but accidentally stuck it under the enlisted one. I was wondering more about OCS. I know, for example, that almost all of the OCS priors have recommended the blanket and light, so it must be different for boot camp. Thanks, though, it gives women intending to go to boot camp some food for thought!

-Mc

Kim

Hello

1. In OCS you put anything you need to carry in your sock, including tampons. You are not supposed to have anything in your pockets so beware if a drill instructor sees it.

2. There will be certain times during the first week when everyone goes to the bathroom, but if you have to go some other time just ask. We also kept some female products in the bathroom during the indoc week, but with a female drill instructor this might be different. You have bathroom (or head) trips so often for all the water you drink so you should have plenty of trips.

3. Except under the whites and PT shirts it really doesn't matter. I don't know whether it was allowed but no one is going to check. It never seemed to matter, although guys can't wear boxers, at least with PT gear (they sometimes showed).

4. We did morning PT then we had "remedial PT" throughout the day where the drill instructor has you do pushups, jumping jacks, run in place, usually in the sand. The in-prt is not done in the morning either, but that's about it.

5. I'm not sure about the razor, I know for guys they couldn't the first week, but I don't know after that.

6. I think a girl in my class had cetaphyl, it's starts to become hard as to what is a drug when you go to facial washes. I would bring anything you need, with prescriptions if you have any. THey may take it away, but you can always get it prescribed if need be, but you might want it until you can get medical to prescribe it.

7. They didn't take my flashlight, but if they do they'll give it back after week 1. I don't know about blanket. Most stuff they gave us back after week 1. If you are driving down, which I recommend if you are an aviator (you'll want it for API) unless your car is really nice (the sea spray isn't good ie. don't set the parking brake!!). You can leave anything you are unsure about in your car, and you get to take group trips out to your car every once in a while, so you can get it then once you are clear on the rules.

8. They demolish your hair, or at least they did. Kind of peach fuzz in the back and a couple inches up top. I hope they have changed it since I went, but they cut everyone's hair even if it is within regs, and they have OCS regs which are different then the Navy's. They didn't enforce them after the first hair cut though. Although with a female DI maybe they have gone to something a little more gentle.

I hope this helps. I went almost exactly 2 years ago so it could be a little different. Make sure you bring socks that come up high enough to carry stuff in (but not kneesocks), you probably only need 1 white towel, unless you need a clean one daily. THey will issue you some. The less you bring the better. Good luck. -Kim

WFU2USN

Kim,

When two years ago did you begin OCS? I've got a friend who started 2 years ago as an NFO and was female.

Robin

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

WFU2USN

Kim,

Then I assume you knew an Ann Marie Mongelli? I think that means you two were in the same class; I don't know if you remember her or not!

:) Robin

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

Status
Not open for further replies.