• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female Officer Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

gin_e

so what's the lowdown on being female in OCS? what is the typical number of women in each class? do women train separately from the men? if there aren't enough women in your class do you share a room with women in other classes, how does that work? what's up with underware, i assume no skimpy underpants, can you wear briefs or bikinis? and what happens when you get your period, can cramps count as a sick day? how short do they really cut your hair (all the pics i've seen, it is above their ears), do you have choice in the matter? would it be a good idea to get your hair cut before you go? i can't imagine this happening, but what is their policy if you get pregnant while in ocs?

my mom was one of the few first female OCS graduates back in '75, lots of interesting stories there!

g

WFU2USN

Gin_e,

The lowdown for females...

1. I think there are typically around 5 female candidates in each class.
2. We do the same training as the men, right along beside them.
3. Underwear...They say those terrible granny panties, BUT, a friend of mine said she and another OC wore Thongs...I think that's more your business than anything. I'd say briefs on days for the physical and whatever works the rest of the time.
4. Your period - you live with it - use the feminine products that you need just like any other day. The military does not count cramps as a sick day - especially at OCS - you could likely go to medical and get naprosyn or ibuprophen to help though.
5. They will cut your hair THAT short - a couple of inches of your head...everybody gets their hair cut...no choice.
6. If you get pregnant while at OCS, they will more than likely send you home for NPQ - you cannot go through that type of rigorous training pregnant - be it OCS, boot camp, whatever.

I hope that helps.

Robin

gin_e

so it has changed ALOT since '75 that is for sure! they didn't cut your hair, trained separately, and were more lenient on cramps. sounds like fun!!
g

gin_e

well both of my parents were navy officers and i've been hearing great things about the navy all my life. on top of that they have a great program for architects in the CEC. so i see the navy as not only fulfilling my long term career goals but also offering an expanse of experiences, training, and personal development otherwise unattainable. besides it sounds like fun!

frogggystyle

Robin pretty much summed it up. There are only a couple of a differences between the men and the women. Women don't have to run the PRT as fast as the men do, nor do they have to do as many situps and pushups. That is military-wide though, not just at OCS.

Also, during you 4th and 9th week inspections, women have certain things that cannot be inspected, such as their undergarments. I think they also have one or two other articles of clothing that are not inspected whereas the men's are. I think it was a pair of shoes and one other thing.

Other than that, they work right along side their male counterparts.

Some of this may change, however. I am not trying to pass some bad gouge or anything, but OCS gained its first-ever female Marine Corps drill instructor last year. Whether or not they will be utilizing her to inspect women's gear (that is currently not inspected by male instructors) is anyone's guess. Maybe if more female DIs start making their way into the OCS training program, perhaps there will be certain changes that come with it. This is anyone's guess though. Maybe nothing will change with the new addittion to the ranks of the DIs.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

marcb747

You're right...She is currently the drill instructor for Class 13-03. If you haven't had someone scare the crap out of you, well then be prepared! She's very tough especially on the females. She's as tough as any of the male drill instructors if not THE TOUGHEST drill instructor overall. Just pray that you don't get her on your inspection...if you're not squared away, you'll be real sorry!

And BTW, size does not matter at all...because she's got you "SIR"!

frogggystyle

It was the same for me when I had the first female company commander at Great Lakes in 1992. That 2nd class had *everything* to prove and was rough as hell.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

Status
Not open for further replies.