• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

fast weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxychkymonky

I am craming to get in shape and get my PFT out of the way however I have to go through MEPS first... I was wondering if anyone knew of a fast way to loose weight.. any tips can help I'm sure there is more I can do short of starving myself.
Thank you

palmettoguy4519

Only eat when you are HUNGRY, CUT OUT SOFT DRINKS, ONLY DRINK WATER. run run run and
jump_125.gif

DairyCreamer

A pound of fat is 3500 kilo-calories (or just 3500 Calories) of energy goodness.

Losing weight in a crash fashion is usually not too good for you, and, unless you permanently change your eating or exercising habits (less eating, more exercising), the weight will eventually come right back to you.

Just start watching what you eat now, and keep your exercise routine going. I believe in the 2000 calorie diet + exercise. Being an engineer, I care about material and energy balances, not the infinite number of fad diets out there. To be true, yes, sugars and fats are a much more concentrated form of calories, and notably less nutritious than things that aren't high in these areas, but... if you watch the calorie count (which you can do for free... who needs WeightWatchers?) and keep the exercise routine on, itt'l come off faster than you think :)

Depending on how much time you have left before MEPS, and how much you need to lose though... well, hopefully you aren't far out of range to begin with. 1-3 lbs a week weight loss is a healthy rate of loss generally speaking.

BTW... I'm not a nutrition expert. A lot of the info I use comes from www.howstuffworks.com you can search for "How Calories Work" or "How Dieting Works." All the info you could want, and links to more for planning your nutritional future are there, it's great.

Alrighty :)

~Nate

PS - As an aside toward Palmetto's point... yah, cutting out pop and soda and sugary drinks is HUGE. It's incredible how many calories you suck down just on a regular $1 bottle of pop. I think it's in the viscinity of 250-300 cals (remember... it's 2.5 servings of pop too, don't forget to multiply the calories!). I drink unsweetened iced tea or water pretty much anymore. Water's cheaper too! :)

Originally posted by sxychkymonky
I am craming to get in shape and get my PFT out of the way however I have to go through MEPS first... I was wondering if anyone knew of a fast way to loose weight.. any tips can help I'm sure there is more I can do short of starving myself.
Thank you

potluck73

try the Atkins diet, no carbs ( which is virtually impossible), try to keep the carb count under 20 a day, drink 64+ oz of water a day plus another oz per pound you want to lose. run, lift weights, work out a lot. it has been working for me. I've lost 35 lbs in the last two months. and don't eat anything after 7pm.
good luck

twidget

Deskaholic
Originally posted by potluck73
try the Atkins diet, no carbs ( which is virtually impossible), try to keep the carb count under 20 a day, drink 64+ oz of water a day plus another oz per pound you want to lose. run, lift weights, work out a lot. it has been working for me. I've lost 35 lbs in the last two months. and don't eat anything after 7pm.
good luck

Wow, 35 lbs?! I don't think I'd even recognize you anymore. Way to go! Now, to just get picked up for OCS.
bouncy_125.gif

tydaddy

i'm an athletic trainer and personal trainer...dairy gave pretty good advice...just some quick tips...increase fruits and vegetables, fiber intake aka only eat whole grain carbs, and try drinking a glass or 2 of water before you eat each meal...also...6 small meals through out the day...biggest thing i have found is the fruits and veggies...also, make sure you're getting enough protein, so that you're not losing muscle mass...

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i did the atkins diet two years ago and lost 30 pounds it really does work

Sins

I've dropped 10 lbs in a week with atkins but now shoot for the balanced diet. Many small meals a day and plenty of exercise and water. Like what dairy suggested.

If you are a couple lbs over the during the days before MEPS you may want to consider a sauna suit.
http://store.titleboxing.com/titleboxing-everlast-vinyl-pvc-sauna-suit.html
I wouldn't suggest anything too intense, maybe wear the suit and ride a stationary bike and an easy pace for an hour or two.

If you have the time, Hydroxycut is an excellent wait loss supplement IMO.

usanavypilot

I know this sounds bad, but I lost 5 pounds (of water weight of course) in 2 days doing it.

Don't eat any hard food for the 48 hours before MEPS, just drink about 400 calories worth of natural juice (ie no high fructose corn syrup) a day. That will keep you sane. Also, don't eat or drink anything but water the morning of MEPS (so that you can do the pee test) and run of you can before you leave. It is kinda harsh on the body but it worked for me. Do this only if you are out of options!!

Status
Not open for further replies.