• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Farely young and highly interested in becoming an Officer

amicmanzo

So some background history of myself,
I've been in the military life since I was born so I'm used to new areas, new people, and different environments I remember as a kid I wanted to be differet then the generations before and go to school right after high school but I always had military on the back of my mind. So I went to a JC and completed 66 credits with a year and a half of calc and completed a semester of chem. I failed my first college physics with a D. I was too used to my hometown and everyone around it that mind set on school started to drift away.

Also to add, I called an NROTC program near me and was denied from the start because I had too much credit.

I got accepted to CSULB which was my dream school but I turned it down to turn over a new leaf to be more productive and change my life and to also be less dependant on my mom. So I joined the Navy and regained my sense of priorities.

So i'm at my new Command and was told recently by a CTNCS that I should highly look into the STA-21 program. I'm 22 with 66 college credits and 24 smart credits under my belt and I'm extremely motivated to starting my package. I've already called my 2 JC's about my transcripts and my high school. I'm also studying to take the ACT next month since the last time I did it was in high school. I've also began writing a personal statement and pre-written letters of recommendations. I talked to my XO recently and he had told me that the command would back me up 110%.

Now I'm here asking if whether or not I'm on a good start or should I give myself a little more time at my command to be acquainted too? I do not want to prolong the inevitable but at the same time I do not want to be a young sailor that gets shunned for what I want.

I apologize for such a long rant but I feel as if I express what I have on my mind, someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

Willy P

FY-13 Pilot Applicant
It's never too early to start. My only regret is not applying sooner when there were 200+ getting picked up every year.

Renegade One

None
So I joined the Navy...i'm at my new Command... I talked to my XO recently and he had told me that the command would back me up 110%...should I give myself a little more time at my command to be acquainted too?

Others with more relevant experience will comment better than I, but a few thoughts:

1. I'm happy you seem to have a supportive command structure. Don't wear it out...

2. You seem to have a sworn commitment right now to "do the job"...whatever job that may be in your first unit. Focus on that as a FIRST priority. Get a rating, promote, earn a warfare qual at first opportunity, rock the PRT, be a model Sailor, stay out of trouble. Good deals and your dream opportunities will be better for you having done that.

3. Don't be "that guy" who makes it known to anyone who will listen that "I'm just here as a stepping stone to [fill in the blank]".

Cheers and good luck.

amicmanzo

Others with more relevant experience will comment better than I, but a few thoughts:

1. I'm happy you seem to have a supportive command structure. Don't wear it out...

2. You seem to have a sworn commitment right now to "do the job"...whatever job that may be in your first unit. Focus on that as a FIRST priority. Get a rating, promote, earn a warfare qual at first opportunity, rock the PRT, be a model Sailor, stay out of trouble. Good deals and your dream opportunities will be better for you having done that.

3. Don't be "that guy" who makes it known to anyone who will listen that "I'm just here as a stepping stone to [fill in the blank]".

Cheers and good luck.

Thank you for your thoughts!

I do have my priorties right now to get my IDW pin asap! But i've been quite busy studying for the SEC+ cert.

My current goals goes as follows,
Pass my SEC+ (this Friday) >>> achieve excellent or higher on the PRT >>> take the ACT >>> then 100% focus on my pin. And of course be a role model through the whole entire process

So some background history of myself,
I've been in the military life since I was born so I'm used to new areas, new people, and different environments I remember as a kid I wanted to be differet then the generations before and go to school right after high school but I always had military on the back of my mind. So I went to a JC and completed 66 credits with a year and a half of calc and completed a semester of chem. I failed my first college physics with a D. I was too used to my hometown and everyone around it that mind set on school started to drift away.

Also to add, I called an NROTC program near me and was denied from the start because I had too much credit.

I got accepted to CSULB which was my dream school but I turned it down to turn over a new leaf to be more productive and change my life and to also be less dependant on my mom. So I joined the Navy and regained my sense of priorities.

So i'm at my new Command and was told recently by a CTNCS that I should highly look into the STA-21 program. I'm 22 with 66 college credits and 24 smart credits under my belt and I'm extremely motivated to starting my package. I've already called my 2 JC's about my transcripts and my high school. I'm also studying to take the ACT next month since the last time I did it was in high school. I've also began writing a personal statement and pre-written letters of recommendations. I talked to my XO recently and he had told me that the command would back me up 110%.

Now I'm here asking if whether or not I'm on a good start or should I give myself a little more time at my command to be acquainted too? I do not want to prolong the inevitable but at the same time I do not want to be a young sailor that gets shunned for what I want.

I apologize for such a long rant but I feel as if I express what I have on my mind, someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

I was in your shoes last year. I can into the Navy when I was 23 and had a year long A-school. While in A-school I decided I knew I wanted to become an Officer. I graduated A-school in Feb and my sub was deployed until April and the submission deadline is July 1 so I didn't want to show up and get shunned away. Unlike you I didn't know if my command would back me. But from everyone I've talked to the sooner you put one in the better. Even if you don't think you would be competitive (cause I didn't) put one it because by the time next year comes around and you are competitive (after qualifying a warfare pin, getting some more college credits, picking up volunteer time, etc) you will have a leg up because you have already put in once. Also I learned how to put a package together. Now this year I have basically 2 months to do it before going to sea until after the deadline it is soooo much easier to do everything. If I hadn't done one package already I would not of been able to put it in this year. In addition I have many people senior to me with whom I'm helping because they have never done one. This helps you stand out because your a junior guy helping out 2nd and 1st. People will see this type of stuff when it comes time for evals. So in my opinion DO IT. It is much easier to do it earlier in your career than later (alot of people don't want to start over as an O1 albiet O1E). If you need any help you can ask around the forums. Alot of people are willing to give you copies of their packages. Don't get me wrong it is alot of work because you need to make sure you stand out in a good way. Do everything you can to show your a team player and will get the job done and things will fall where you want them. If you have any specific questions PM and I'll help you as best I can before I deploy.

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
I also was in your position when I joined 5 1/2 years ago, with the goal in my head that I wanted to be a pilot for the Navy. My advice, which worked for me and may not for you is: as previously mentioned work on your package now and printout the 1420.1b and all chapters that apply and read them often. Submit your package as soon as you can whether you believe you are competive or not. If you have a question try and find out the answer for yourself and if you still can't find the answer ask a few people. Alot of times sailors speak on things they don't know or was true years ago in an old instruction(I have been guilty of this myself). For evals make sure if your command supports you getting commissioned have them write for (Recommendations for Quals/Commissioning) to write in STA-21, a small tip I had been given. The biggest tip is to stay out of trouble. It only takes one drink and a slip and fall for the Navy to consider it an Alcohol Related Incident,(I doubt it would happen, but possible) then you can go to Captian's Mass and they give you a minor punishment, but now you have a NJP on record which dramatically decrease your chances of selection.

Good luck to you, don't under any circumstance forget your goals and stop moving towards them!