• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A 18-D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Burke

I'd take a Prowler over a lawn dart any day. It's a very solid aircraft. Very well built. We had one take a crash landing with only one main mount extended and it was flying only a few days later. If it was a hornet it would've been in depot for 6 months. During workups and cruise, we had 1 F-18 and 4 S-3's craned off the ship. The Hornet got struck by a F-14 wingtip on its stbd vert stab, took about 9 inches off of it, the F-14 diverted to land. The S-3's were craned off for mainteance reasons mostly. 1 of them that was craned after cruise has extensive tail damage from an arresting gear cable that broke when a tomcat was landing. That incident killed a chief.

Performance wise, the prowler is a workhorse. And you will be hard pressed to find any aviator who would want to fly without them airborne.

psu_midn

Since we are all on the topic of aircraft. I have a little story:

I asked a friend of mine who used to be a Major in the Air "Farce" as a test pilot, for a reference for my app for OCS. He replied back in an e-mail mentioning that I should consider the his branch. I asked him sarcasticly if they had the F/A 18...he just replied back and said "No. We have real fighter jets..."

Oh man oh man!!

Dave Shutter

quote:...he just replied back and said "No. We have real fighter jets..."

Oh, that's funny because our fake little fighters seem to be flying a lot of real combat missions, dropping lots of real ordnance and getting shot at by lots of very real AAA over there in turbin land.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 03/04/2002 22:40:39

Status
Not open for further replies.