• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35c at Eglin

Grizzly

I noticed VFA-101 are getting their first F-35c's this week. They estimate training will begin sometime in August. Assuming everything stays on schedule, where do new airframes get their first group of pilots from. I would imagines they wouldn't start taking guys from the vts until they have some sort of syllabus.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
f35_eglin_3_20110715.jpg

DoD's newest aircraft, the F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter, taxis across the 33rd Fighter Wing flightline at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., July 14.
U.S. Air Force photo/Samuel King Jr.
Photo source: US Air Force

f35c_delivery.jpg

The Navy welcomed its first 5th generation F-35C production aircraft at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. (EAFB) on Saturday. To date, Lockheed Martin has delivered 69 F-35s to the Department of Defense, 26 of which are located at EAFB.
Photo Credit: Todd R. McQueen, Lockheed Martin
Photo source: Lockheed Martin

Story & more pics here.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't know that the LRIP had produced so many airframes. Take that, Russia/China "5th generation aircraft programs."

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I know it's exaggerated by the folded wings, but I didn't realize how short the wing span is on this fat pig.

Maybe it's just the angle of the pic.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I think that is the first time I've seen a pic with the wings folded.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Anyone know how they fixed the tailhook issue with the C? I think I heard something about a hook point redesign but I'm not 100% clear on how that would fix the problem.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
They removed it, plated it in gold, and it works now

I heard they amended the contract to include DeBeers and several billion more dollars. The well known diamond corporation will be handling the production of the new, improved and blinged out tailhook.

Navy Ship

How come they have folded wings as opposed to variable swept wings? If you are going to put movable parts on the wing to make it fold, then why not put the movable part to make the wings sweep back? This would serve a storage and performance purpose, wouldn't it?

Renegade One

None
How come they have folded wings as opposed to variable swept wings? If you are going to put movable parts on the wing to make it fold, then why not put the movable part to make the wings sweep back? This would serve a storage and performance purpose, wouldn't it?
Relax…have another beer.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

I'll defer to the guys who actually design aircraft, but if sweeping the wings were better or easier, then we'd have all our aircraft with that system.

Since all but 1 does folded wings, I'd bet that is the better method.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Uh what? Lay off the sauce!!

magnetfreezer

Variable wings increase the complexity of CG management and flight control/stability systems, as well as pilot workload (unless you add yet another system to automatically sweep wings). Plus, it's another major system that can break (asymmetric wing sweep=bad) and requires sustainment/maintenance.

This is what can happen if you have to land with wings stuck full aft:
B1_fire.jpg