• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessone

Does anyone know details on the timeline for the Corps' JSF variant? What I'm most curious about is, could those of us with 2005 TBS graduation dates and mid-to-late 2005 selection dates in flight school select for these immediately (if we're lucky enough to get jets)? I've heard both 2006 and 2008 for the times the first squadrons would stand up, and I'm a little confused. Do they tend to transition established pilots first, or do they form squadrons from both experienced and new pilots?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

ProwlerPilot

pilot
I wouldn't hold my breath on flying the JSF in 2008. Especially if the Marines insist on the whole VSTOL thing. If they are up and running, they will put people from flight school there. Right now the Super Hornet RAG consists of a lot of nugget aviators, plus of course all the ones that are transitioning from F-14's and soon the S-3. I don't know the Marine plan for it, if it is going to take another plane's place or just add to the inventory. If it is replacing something, you might end up in that, do a tour and then transition.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by Glenn
I wouldn't hold my breath on flying the JSF in 2008. Especially if the Marines insist on the whole VSTOL thing.
Like two years ago the Commandant stated that the VSTOL variant wasn't as important as just developing and buying any JSF; thus, could live without it. . . Unfortunately, the Royal Navy could not (ole Sea Harriers getting old). In the stuff that I've seen, the VSTOL is 'operational' and right on pace with the other two variants. As you've said though who knows when a RAG will be built up, etc . . . .

woodman

According to an article in The United State Navy Yearbook 2002, the IOC (initial operational capability) for the Air Force F-35 will be 2011, the Marines 2010 and the Navy 2012. Take it for what you will.

smprfi99

How is the JSF going to affect Marine carrier aviation? If the Marine Corps is only going with the VSTOL version, does that mean Marine carrier aviation ceases to exist? How would we fit more FW aircraft into the MEU?

Also, what gives with Marine carrier aviation anyway? It is no big secret that we already do more with less, so by giving up assets to the CVW, it seems to me that we are punishing ourselves even more in the sake of "jointness." As Marine aviators (and future aviators), I think that we all came into this business for one reason. That is to provide support for out fellow Marines on the ground. From what I have seen, that is not necessarily the case with Marine carrier aviation. Those guys are attached to the CVW, which is tasked by the JFACC (remember, Marine aviation is not ponied up to the JFACC, we fly to support Marine operations). The CVW is usually tasked to conduct strike operations, not CAS in support of Marines on the beach.

Just some food for thought. I may not see the whole picture, so I would like some other points of view.

Semper Fi!

Status
Not open for further replies.