• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 down near China Lake

robav8r

None
Contributor
Never heard about folks hanging out at Star Wars Canyon to watch flight events, is that a fairly popular thing?

azguy

None
Very common. Very popular. Has been for a very long time now.

Is the flight sked public? Or predictable? I like watching a fly-by on cruise as much as the next guy, but you'd have to be nuts to sit around in Death Valley of all places hoping a Rhino drives by.

ETA: Terrible news; best wishes to this pilot's friends and family.

Last edited:

HuggyU2

None
... you'd have to be nuts to sit around in Death Valley of all places hoping a Rhino drives by.
When I was flying TR-1s in England, the Brits built a notch in the fence at RAF Mildenhall, and installed bleachers so that the "airplane spotters" could watch without impeding traffic. And they built a parking lot for the spotters.

In 2014, I stopped by the photographers that were waiting by the fence at RAF Fairford. I was flying a U-2 out of there about 2.5 hours after I drove by. They were honestly dumbfounded that I stopped by to say hi to them. I guess no one does that. I even worked out photo-pose for them while holding short of the runway. If you ever go to Fairford and see these photogs by the fence line , stop by. Nice folks, and they really enjoy the opportunity to share the shots they have of you. I wish I had engaged with them more over the years.

Back when I was there, the Brits were the bomb. Just great folks with a lot of love for military aviation. I hope that still exists.

I remember the Red Arrows transiting across the country, and blowing over my village at about 1000' enroute to whereever. Can you imagine that happening with the Blues or TBirds?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pilot identified. RIP Warrior.

screen-shot-2019-08-02-at-1.09.52-pm.png

LT Charles Z. Walker is seen in a photo released by the U.S. Naval Air Forces on Twitter.