• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Experiences with boat rentals at Sigsbee Marina, NAS Key West?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Long shot, but if anybody on here has used the MWR boat rental at said location, I'd like to pick your brain a bit. Let me know via pm.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Have used it three times for the center consoles. New boats, inexpensive, no reservations, first come first serve. The boating test is fairly simple, nothing really difficult on it. If you disable the GPS log on the unit they won't know where you went to (ie out of bounds areas). Just don't get stuck in the flats or shear a prop when out of bounds!

You can take the boat out and snorkel/dive off the coast and the old lighthouse/platform whatever it is called (about 7nm off the coast, and is a waypoint in the GPS already programmed in).

Every time we go down there, I rent the boat for the day, and we fill up the cooler with food and drink and enjoy the day on the water. There are a few good island beaches to go to also and throw the anchor down and swim/wade ashore.

Enjoy!
.KWboat.jpg

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Everything webmaster said is accurate. I've rented boats from them twice, and both times it was a great experience. Sort of. As webmaster pointed out, make sure to steer clear of the shallow water and make sure you stay in the channels when applicable. I found this out the hard way. Damn near had to call the coast guard to get me out of the mud. This is when I realized I probably shouldn't be a SWO. :) Anyway, great way to snorkel on the cheap, do your own fishing, and see the sights. You have to buy the gas when you return the boat, and that can be a little steep, but still worth it.

Flugelman

Contributor
Spent a lot of time out on Smith Shoals fishing for grouper. Not sure where any restricted areas are now. Catch a few grunt on the way out for bait and life is good. Sure wish I had had GPS back then, could'a found my honey holes a lot faster. :cool:

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
miss the PAX and NOB marinas (rockfish and flounder fishing) now.....
I'm in ABQ, NM :(....
caught some nice rainbows and cutthroat in the Pecos last weekend though...