• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Every Marine Into the Fight" MC Times article

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Interesting news and numbers - especially the part about the 66K who have not been to Iraq yet. I've always been curious about the same numbers for the Army; I'll assume it's at least a proportionately larger number.

Which is part of my IA heartburn: Why send Navy bodies into "general purpose" billets, when there are clearly plenty of Green bodies that are more appropriate for the task? (And by "more appropriate", I mean "At least have some sliver of ground combat training.") I think an Army Combat Engineer would be far more appropriate in a Provincial Reconstruction Team billet than some poor URL guy snapped up simply because a body was needed.

EWOs and other unique knowledge billets are a different story. And yes, I understand the "One team, one fight" concept; after all, I have completed my JPME... Doesn't mean that the whole IA process hasn't been mis-handled from a cross-Service perspective, though. <end rant>

Conway: ‘Every Marine Into the Fight’

New policy means those who have not deployed will be sent to Iraq

By Kimberly Johnson - Staff writer

Posted : Friday Jan 19, 2007 14:14:11 EST

The Corps’ 66,000 leathernecks who have not yet deployed to Iraq — more than one-third of the active-duty force — are now on-deck for combat, according to a new policy issued by the Corps’ top commander Jan. 19.

The Corps will immediately begin reviewing personnel assignments with the intent of sending all Marines into Iraq, Commandant Gen. James Conway told commanders in an all-Marine message titled “Every Marine Into the Fight.” Under Conway’s plan, Marines without Iraq experience could be reassigned to new units. Conway also urged commanders to support Marine requests to go into combat.

“Frequent deployments and short dwell periods have been the norm,” Conway said in the AlMar. “When they join our Corps, Marines expect to train, deploy and fight. That’s who we are. That’s what we do. And we must allow every Marine that opportunity.”

According to Defense Department data, there were about 218,000 total active-duty Marine deployments to Afghanistan or Iraq as of Sept. 30. Of those deployments, less than half have deployed only once, and about 56,000 deployed twice or more.

“As our Corps postures for the long war, and in order to help meet the challenges of frequent deployments, I want our Corps’ leadership to initiate policies to ensure all Marines, first-termers and career Marines alike, are provided the ability to deploy to a combat zone,” Conway said.

Conway told Marines in Ramadi in late December that about 37 percent of the Corps, or about 66,000 out of about 175,000 permanent troops, had not yet been into Iraq, an issue he said could hurt justification for force expansion plans. Another 5,000 troops are being funded temporarily, inflating the current end strength to 180,000 Marines.

The Bush administration has called for increasing the Corps’ end strength to 202,000 Marines in five years.

“If we’re going to grow the force on the one hand, we’ve got to be able to justify it to the bean counters ... how we have 66,000 Marines that haven’t been to Iraq or Afghanistan,” he said during the Dec. 26 town hall meeting with 1st Battalion, 6th Marines.

About half of those who have not yet deployed are potentially slated for future Iraq deployments, meaning this new policy would target the remaining 33,000.

In the message, Conway tasked manpower officials with reassigning Marines who “have yet to deploy to rotational units, but limit the impact on unit cohesion.”

Also, officials are to authorize “time-on-station” waivers to “effectively redistribute Marines affected by this guidance.”

Officials will also need to review deployment policies to Japan, where Marines deploy as part of the Unit Deployment Program.

He told unit commanders to identify Marines in their units who haven’t deployed and facilitate their rotation into the war zone, and when they receive requests to deploy, support those requests.

Conway said he believes many leathernecks want to go into combat but are denied. This new policy would give relief to Marines who have had a more constant combat tempo, some on their third and fourth deployments, he told the Marines in Ramadi. That battalion’s deployment has since been extended as part of President Bush’s plan to build up troops levels in Iraq in order decrease insurgent attacks in Anbar province.

“The main intent is to allow all Marines the opportunity in getting to the fight and increase the equity in how we’re deploying folks,” said Conway spokesman Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson.

It also will expand the combat experience base for the Corps, he said.

The new policy, which Johnson said would affect only active-duty troops, was based directly on the feedback Conway heard during recent town hall meetings with Marines who complained that they weren’t able to deploy.

“It brought it to the surface. It was a constant theme,” Johnson said. “Marines want to go. The ones who’ve been turned down, they’re not happy about it.”

hscs

pilot
Concur on the sending a Marine that hasn't been over top a Navy URL just to fill a spot.

I would bet that the Army and Air Force have similar percentages.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
When was the last time the Corps was GROWING, not shrinking in some way.:confused: Can't wait to get into the fight myself, seems like it will never come. Yes, I know, it will sooner than later ... but thats why Im here.
s/f

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
III MEF is in Okinawa keeping an eye on a little place called Korea. That is why the Marine rotation only included I MEF and 2 MEF.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Here's what the Commandant said, with no Marine Corps Times spin ...

ALMAR 002/07

Date signed: 01/19/2007

Subject: EVERY MARINE INTO THE FIGHT COMMANDANTS INTENT

R 191555Z JAN 07
FM CMC WASHINGTON DC(UC)
TO AL ALMAR(UC)
UNCLASSIFIED//
ALMAR 002/07
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/EVERY MARINE INTO THE FIGHT COMMANDANTS INTENT//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1.PURPOSE TO PROVIDE DEPLOYMENT AND
ASSIGNMENTGUIDANCE IN SUPPORT OF CURRENT COMBAT OPERATIONS.
2.BACKGROUND/INTENT A.THE MARINE CORPS REMAINS ACTIVELY
ENGAGED IN COMBAT OPERATIONS IN THE CENTRAL COMMAND AREA OF
RESPONSIBILITY. MARINES, BY THEIR PERFORMANCE IN IRAQ
ANDAFGHANISTAN, HAVE ADDED NOTABLY TO THE LEGACY OF OUR
COLORS. FREQUENT DEPLOYMENTS AND SHORT DWELL PERIODS HAVE
BEEN THE NORM, YET OUR MARINES HAVE RESPONDED MAGNIFICENTLY
WITH UNWAVERING DETERMINATION AND COMMITMENT TO WIN THE LONG
WAR FROM THE VERY OUTSET. WHEN THEY JOIN OUR CORPS MARINES
EXPECT TO TRAIN, DEPLOY AND FIGHT. THATS WHO WE ARE; THATS
WHAT WE DO; AND WE MUST ALLOW EVERY MARINE THAT OPPORTUNITY.
B.AS OUR CORPS POSTURES FOR THE LONG WAR, AND IN ORDER TO
HELP MEET THE CHALLENGES OF FREQUENT DEPLOYMENTS, I WANT OUR
CORPS LEADERSHIP TO INITIATE POLICIES TO ENSURE ALL MARINES,
FIRST TERMERS AND CAREER MARINES ALIKE, ARE PROVIDED THE
ABILITY TO DEPLOY TO A COMBAT ZONE.
3.ACTION
A.CMC (DC M&RA). REVIEW CURRENT PERSONNEL ASSIGNMENT
POLICIES TO ENSURE MAXIMUM ASSIGNMENT FLEXIBILITY WITH AN
ORIENTATION TOWARDS GETTING ALL MARINES TO THE FIGHT.
SPECIFICALLY,
(1)AS FEASIBLE, REASSIGN MARINES THAT HAVE YET TO DEPLOY TO
ROTATIONAL UNITS, BUT LIMIT THE IMPACT ON UNIT COHESION.
(2)INCREASED TIME-ON-STATION WAIVERS ARE AUTHORIZED IN ORDER
TO EFFECTIVELY REDISTRIBUTE MARINES AFFECTED BY THIS GUIDANCE.
(3)AS REQUIRED, MODIFY THE III MEF ASSIGNMENT POLICY.
B.COMMANDERS
(1)REVIEW INTERNAL COMMAND ASSIGNMENTS TO IDENTIFY MARINES
WHO HAVE NOT YET DEPLOYED TO A COMBAT ZONE AND FACILITATE
THEIR REASSIGNMENT TO ROTATIONAL UNITS.
(2)COORDINATE, AS NECESSARY, WITH CMC (M&RA) TO ENSURE
DEPLOYMENT ASSIGNMENT EQUITY AMONG ALL MARINES.
(3)SUPPORT A MARINES REQUEST TO DEPLOY.
4.COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS
A.THIS ALMAR APPLIES TO THE TOTAL FORCE MARINE CORPS.
B.ENSURE ALL MARINES ARE COGNIZANT OF MY INTENT.
5.SEMPER FIDELIS, JAMES T. CONWAY, GENERAL, U.S.
MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS//

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A good buddy of mine, a Marine 53 and C-12 driver, just got orders to Iraq for 6 months. He was supposed to the go back to the 53 RAG and join his squadron but being the newest O-4, he got go ahead to Iraq.