• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ET3 WANTING TO GO PILOT

joshhems

I am an ET3 in Norfolk been in for one and a half years, I am less than 30 credits away from my bachelors degree in electronics. I can apply to OCS up to 18 months in advance and I am doing that. First thing I am doing is getting PRK which will be done next week. This is from a civilian doctor and will be doing custom PRK (Brushless). I was told the wait time for eyes to heal is 3-6 months but more likely 3 months (from navy doc). My first question is, does anyone know if custom PRK is a disqualifire? In about one month I will be taking my ASTB. Assuming I score well afterwards my CSO will be planning boards with my CO and the Commisioning board. During this process I will be completing minor tasks like finishing flight physical and completing paperwork. Here is my second question, does anyone have any advice and do I sound realistic in my base plan. I joined the Navy with the goal to be an officer specifically pilot.

minor notes: When my package is ready I will be less tan 20 credits or even less away. GPA 3.5

exNavyOffRec

I am an ET3 in Norfolk been in for one and a half years, I am less than 30 credits away from my bachelors degree in electronics. I can apply to OCS up to 18 months in advance and I am doing that. First thing I am doing is getting PRK which will be done next week. This is from a civilian doctor and will be doing custom PRK (Brushless). I was told the wait time for eyes to heal is 3-6 months but more likely 3 months (from navy doc). My first question is, does anyone know if custom PRK is a disqualifire? In about one month I will be taking my ASTB. Assuming I score well afterwards my CSO will be planning boards with my CO and the Commisioning board. During this process I will be completing minor tasks like finishing flight physical and completing paperwork. Here is my second question, does anyone have any advice and do I sound realistic in my base plan. I joined the Navy with the goal to be an officer specifically pilot.

minor notes: When my package is ready I will be less tan 20 credits or even less away. GPA 3.5

You cannot apply until after you have your degree in hand, civilians can apply before graduation, the rules are different for those who are AD.

N3M who issues PQ letters wants to see a check up after 6 months after surgery.

when you submit all signatures should be under 6 months old, you should start all your paperwork when you are about 3 months from graduation.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the info!

So this is the article we were looking at.
A candidate may be enlisted prior to receiving a baccalaureate degree on condition that the candidate be able to attain a degree and begin OCS training with in the required 18 months.

Read more at: https://www.navycs.com/officer/aviationofficer.html

Doesn't that meen I can apply early?

That is directed at civilians, and the part "may be enlisted...." was speaking of a program (BDCP) that is no longer used, the USN would enlisted people who were selected by the board and they would go to college while being paid as an E-5, again applying on AD has a different set of rules, if you send your application in without proving that you had a degree in hand it will be kicked back, then you will have to do everything over again.

You can however still take the ASTB anytime and get that out of the way.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You can take the ASTB now and knock out your commissioning physical at a Navy Hospital when you're about 6 months-year out. But NavyOffRec nailed it, no degree = no apply. Big reason is because operational commitments might affect your ability to complete your education in the prescribed time. That's why civilian applicants with a more "stable" schedule and can apply early.