• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Espionage!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I find it interesting that he and his wife went for cryptocurrency.
Why? I mean, it's designed to facilitate money laundering and illicit commerce. I have seen zero official reporting on this, but the conventional wisdom is that the foreign nation was France or Israel.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Should we assume @Max the Mad Russian has been up to the old ways or is this the CHICAPS? I find it interesting that he and his wife went for cryptocurrency.

Eff, Imagine giving up your freedom for $100k. Little did this guy know he could have made more than that in the private sector working as a Nuclear Engineer or Plant Operator plus a pension and benefits! SMH

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Why? I mean, it's designed to facilitate money laundering and illicit commerce. I have seen zero official reporting on this, but the conventional wisdom is that the foreign nation was France or Israel.
I understand, I just can’t recall another case (open to public discourse) of a U.S. citizen selling military technology for cryptocurrency…a new but certainly expected frontier. As for the receiving nation…I was just having fun with our friendly Soviet leftover.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand, I just can’t recall another case (open to public discourse) of a U.S. citizen selling military technology for cryptocurrency…a new but certainly expected frontier. As for the receiving nation…I was just having fun with our friendly Soviet leftover.
When was the last big spy case? Probably predates the invention of cryptocurrency.

Notanaviator

Contributor
Reading Milt Bearden’s ‘The Main Enemy’ right now. Great read for those of you that like this sort of thing.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Seems you all forgot about this guy. Very much during the days of crypto.

Or does he not classify as a "big catch"?

exNavyOffRec

Officially pled to "mishandling" classified material, his sentences was extremely light compared to the others.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Didn't forget. Not exactly high profile case, nor was there a significant disclosure, AFAIK.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
With the couple mentioned in the initial story they never got anything out, the intel guys picked it up right away and then got more to secure the case.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the couple mentioned in the initial story they never got anything out, the intel guys picked it up right away and then got more to secure the case.
I read that they did pass some info to the foreign country, who then alerted the FBI, 8 months later. Unclear exactly what was initially passed.

GroundPounder

The interesting part to me was the fact that somehow there was a signal / display at the embassy that confirmed that there were in contact with them, although they were not.