• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EOD civilian selection

ctshaw42

I know this site is primarily for Aviation related information, however, due to the backlog of flight applications I’ve thought of looking at other options for career paths. Would anyone have any information regarding eod civilian OCS selection and how that process works. Thanks

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I know this site is primarily for Aviation related information, however, due to the backlog of flight applications I’ve thought of looking at other options for career paths. Would anyone have any information regarding eod civilian OCS selection and how that process works. Thanks

EOD officer has primarily come from the enlisted ranks (for OCS), navy ROTC and USNA. The boards may take a civilian applicant here and there but those mainly appear to be prior enlisted with previous EOD experience.

exNavyOffRec

In addition to what was said EOD is a process that can take a while, there is one board per year in Sept and if a person is a civilian they need to not only be in top physical condition but also be ready to take a few years to get picked.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
EOD officer has primarily come from the enlisted ranks (for OCS), navy ROTC and USNA. The boards may take a civilian applicant here and there but those mainly appear to be prior enlisted with previous EOD experience.
In addition to what was said EOD is a process that can take a while, there is one board per year in Sept and if a person is a civilian they need to not only be in top physical condition but also be ready to take a few years to get picked.

When I got the NAMI Whammy at OCS, I looked into redesignating into EOD. I was told by the community manager that the two OCS slots they had for Fiscal Year 2012 had already been filled and they weren't taking anybody else. I then met those two guys who were two classes behind mine and they were both prior-enlisted EOD bubbas coming from the Fleet. The EOD community is incredibly small and there are very few officer billets. If you really have your heart set on being EOD, I recommend enlisting on an EOD or Diver contract first.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Hey there! I've crossed paths with one of the civilians EODs they picked up who went to OCS. I believe he was the first civilian in a couple of years, so it's not impossible. The community is very small and the process is very long. I can recall him telling me his process involving a series of interviews.

Enlisting and then getting picked up in-house is the more conventional route for EOD. This is because the pipeline is very long and expensive, and most people *typically* don't make it through. As a result, taking a bunch of civilians that will ultimately fail out, makes no sense. Ie why very few civilian Os are selected.

The community is absolutely awesome. If your heart is set on it, go for it, but do not put all your eggs in one basket.

Last edited: