• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Entering reserves after 8yr lapse in service?

chrispaul

NFO
None
Anyone hear of someone entering the reserves after an 8 year lapse in service? I left active duy in '98 as an O-3 NFO, and before talking to a recruiter, wanted to get a feel for possibilities (if any). How would that affect my rank upon reentry and time towards 20 years?

Appreciate any gouge.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Keep in mind VP Reserve is on its last legs.

I am not sure what his plans are, but there are a million 'other' things you can do in the Reserves. Admittedly, I will be looking for a flying billet myself.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
No, I was not IRR during the 8 yr period. I would consider a non-VP job, perhaps.

Well, based on the little gouge I have gathered trying to learn about the Reserves (I'm getting out soon). You might have to start as an O-1. That is was some recruiter told me. He said if you get out, don't go SELRES/IRR, and are out for more than 2 years, then you have to start over. He seemed partially squared away, so I would take that with a grain of salt.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
There is always a waiver... The Reserves wants/needs bodies... Let it be known that you will not affiliate unless it is at your old rank.. I know this has worked... But not sure how long their break in service was.. The bigger problem you will have is promotion! Everybody I know with those breaks in service have not made 0-5! EVERYONE OF THEM! One made 0-4 during his break in service! Just got a letter in the mail one day.. That made him decide to affiliate! Then the problem is as an 0-4 you can only stay to 20 years without board approval which doesn't leave much slack for good/bad years. PM me if you have significant questions?

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A RECRUITER! I AM IRR DUE TO PERSONAL/FINANCIAL REASONS! But my last reserve billet was in Pers so I know a good bit of 411 and still have friends on the inside...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
He was technically IRR.. He never finished his Naval commitment on active duty.. Though he wasn't doing correspondence or drilling/VTU and didn't transfer to the IRR via paperwork/phonecon, he was actually in the IRR. However, it was considered a break in service because of the the bad years (DID NOT GET HIS 50 POINTS- obviously) :)