• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Enlisted with a BA, do I still have a shot at OCS?

ththai

I'm an active duty enlisted with 2 years left on my contract. I enlisted with a BA in Communications and it turned out to be a huge slap in my face, even now I still feel like I made a horrible decision enlisting. With my BA in Comms and a 3.0 GPA, no flight experience, I know SNA/NFO is out of my reach, but in reality, how much of a shot do I have at OCS with other designators? I am still studying the OAR materials, especially the math section (been away from school for 5 years), and I want to put a package in for PAO (most related to my degree), AMDO, and last but not least, SWO. My PT score is always good medium-good high during my 3 years in. Should I move forward with an OCS package or should I ride out my enlisted contract and go for a post bac program to show an upward trend in my GPA before applying?

NevarYalnal

why would sna/nfo be out of reach? flight experience is not required; if you rock the aviation portion of the test you would have a good chance of being selected.

ththai

why would sna/nfo be out of reach? flight experience is not required; if you rock the aviation portion of the test you would have a good chance of being selected.
Mainly because of my GPA, I figure with 3.0 GPA and no flight experience, even if I rock the aviation portion of the test I would not be competitive enough to have a chance of getting selected. Plus I am turning 31 this year, so I'm fighting against the clock here....

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I'm an active duty enlisted with 2 years left on my contract. I enlisted with a BA in Communications and it turned out to be a huge slap in my face, even now I still feel like I made a horrible decision enlisting. With my BA in Comms and a 3.0 GPA, no flight experience, I know SNA/NFO is out of my reach, but in reality, how much of a shot do I have at OCS with other designators? I am still studying the OAR materials, especially the math section (been away from school for 5 years), and I want to put a package in for PAO (most related to my degree), AMDO, and last but not least, SWO. My PT score is always good medium-good high during my 3 years in. Should I move forward with an OCS package or should I ride out my enlisted contract and go for a post bac program to show an upward trend in my GPA before applying?

well you were steered wrong in enlisting you shouldn't have without exploring your options.

PAO probably won't happen, they are very picky and in nearly all cases only pick those that are current MC's
AMDO possible but unlikely as your GPA isn't great, and often those selected are more senior and have maintenance experience at different facilities.
SWO is toss up.

Aviation doesn't care that much about GPA's, there are people on here with sub 3.0 GPA's that are now flying, in flight school or waiting to go to OCS, with aviation it is all about the ASTB and getting good scores and since you are 30 you don't have much time so you need to get moving ASAP.

ththai

well you were steered wrong in enlisting you shouldn't have without exploring your options.

PAO probably won't happen, they are very picky and in nearly all cases only pick those that are current MC's
AMDO possible but unlikely as your GPA isn't great, and often those selected are more senior and have maintenance experience at different facilities.
SWO is toss up.

Aviation doesn't care that much about GPA's, there are people on here with sub 3.0 GPA's that are now flying, in flight school or waiting to go to OCS, with aviation it is all about the ASTB and getting good scores and since you are 30 you don't have much time so you need to get moving ASAP.
I would need to review the ASTB study materials and do a little more research about SNA/NFO. From what I heard it could be very challenging if you're not well-prepared. Let's say worst case scenario, if I don't make it by the time I turn 32 (my birthday is in Oct), can I still apply for an age waiver? And since you are an ex offrec, do you mind if I ask this, with my GPA and my age what designator do you think that I would have the best chance of getting selected?

Meyerkord

pilot
I don’t think they do waivers anymore. I believe it’s 32 across the board. Have you looked at Intel at all? They have a much higher age cutoff.

Also, don’t count yourself out of aviation. You need to move quick but it’s definitely possible. I was at OCS less than 4 months from first reaching out to a recruiter.

exNavyOffRec

I would need to review the ASTB study materials and do a little more research about SNA/NFO. From what I heard it could be very challenging if you're not well-prepared. Let's say worst case scenario, if I don't make it by the time I turn 32 (my birthday is in Oct), can I still apply for an age waiver? And since you are an ex offrec, do you mind if I ask this, with my GPA and my age what designator do you think that I would have the best chance of getting selected?
probably SWO if you don't do well on the ASTB

ththai

I just took a look at the Intel community, and it does indeed have a much higher age cutoff. However, being a naturalized citizen, I am not sure if I am eligible to apply, I would need a sit down with an officer recruiter to figure out.

To sum it up, I should definitely go fo Aviation, IW/IP (if possible), and SWO being my last option. Trying not to be in a rush here but I still feel like I'm all over the place. I found this ASTB Study Guide on Amazon:

Based on the reviews, it seems to be a good prep book for the ASTB, and I can brush up on math problems at Khan Academy. Also, is it worth it to hire an ASTB tutor to work with me 1 on 1, rather than study by myself? Or is it going to be a waste of money?

NevarYalnal

Based on the reviews, it seems to be a good prep book for the ASTB, and I can brush up on math problems at Khan Academy. Also, is it worth it to hire an ASTB tutor to work with me 1 on 1, rather than study by myself? Or is it going to be a waste of money?

Look through the 1,001 questions thread and check out the docs in the google drive. unless you're having major difficulties with a particular section of the test you shouldn't need to hire tutors.

exNavyOffRec

I just took a look at the Intel community, and it does indeed have a much higher age cutoff. However, being a naturalized citizen, I am not sure if I am eligible to apply, I would need a sit down with an officer recruiter to figure out.

To sum it up, I should definitely go fo Aviation, IW/IP (if possible), and SWO being my last option. Trying not to be in a rush here but I still feel like I'm all over the place. I found this ASTB Study Guide on Amazon:

The IWC community has a higher age cutoff but also is much more competitive, the average person selected has a 3.5 GPA and 90% of those picked for IP and CW have tech degrees, naturalization could be an issue as well.

Realistically Aviation and SWO at the ones you have a decent shot at, this is of course without knowing the ASTB scores.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Where being a naturalized citizen can be an obstacle is with career paths that require TS clearance. You probably have more foreign contacts than most people in the Navy do, but all that really means is more paperwork and legwork during the the background investigation for your clearance. Well, unless you're maintaining close personal or financial ties with characters who really hate the United States, obviously, but for most naturalized citizens all it is... just more paperwork getting the security clearance. As part of getting a TS these days, the security clearance people will also require you to formally renounce your former citizenship (and they'll help you with the process for that).

Naturalized vs natural-born has nothing to do with eligibility for OCS, although I realize you're referring specifically to intel programs.

Something I'd add here is if someone tells you that you can't apply as a naturalized citizen, unless they can cite something in writing then that person is simply a bullshitter- and they unintentionally did you a favor by letting you know that about them.

Another thing a lot of people mix up natural-born with native-born; the second term is legally irrelevant and almost nonsensical (for example, McCain was supposedly ineligible to be President because he was born in the canal zone instead of on proper U.S. soil, or children who were born in military hospitals overseas, both of those things confuse a lot of people for a strange reason known as "can't be bothered to look up the right answer").