• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Nuke w/degree to OCS & LRP

Alex S

I am graduating from Texas A&M this May with a degree, and I have enlisted into the Navy. I did not put in an officer package because I have a 2.65 college GPA in Political Science and I didn't think it'd be worth the effort. I would've gone with another branch, but I had to get a medical waiver for dislocated knee caps.

I want to go to OCS after Basic Training, even to stick with Nuke. I know it's said not to enlist if you're wanting an officer slot, but I am curious if anyone had some advice on this. I have spoke with a few sailors that finished up nuke school recently and they said a lot put in an application and get picked up for OCS.

Also, on a different note, my recruiter told me if I wanted the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill at any time during military service that I could not have the Loan Repayment Program. I have heard varying information on this topic, and overall have concluded that I can have the LRP, and then when I re-enlist I am eligible for the G.I. Bill. They are currently telling me that only those with a musicians rate can qualify for the LRP at this point in time. Any advice on how I can go about changing my contract, if this information given to me was in fact incorrect?

Thanks for your help!

exNavyOffRec

I am graduating from Texas A&M this May with a degree, and I have enlisted into the Navy. I did not put in an officer package because I have a 2.65 college GPA in Political Science and I didn't think it'd be worth the effort. I would've gone with another branch, but I had to get a medical waiver for dislocated knee caps.

I want to go to OCS after Basic Training, even to stick with Nuke. I know it's said not to enlist if you're wanting an officer slot, but I am curious if anyone had some advice on this. I have spoke with a few sailors that finished up nuke school recently and they said a lot put in an application and get picked up for OCS.

Also, on a different note, my recruiter told me if I wanted the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill at any time during military service that I could not have the Loan Repayment Program. I have heard varying information on this topic, and overall have concluded that I can have the LRP, and then when I re-enlist I am eligible for the G.I. Bill. They are currently telling me that only those with a musicians rate can qualify for the LRP at this point in time. Any advice on how I can go about changing my contract, if this information given to me was in fact incorrect?

Thanks for your help!
I would say there is always a chance, but that being said in the past several years I have only seen a few people with GPA's less than 2.9 picked up and that was for Pilot.

You will be given a few opportunities to put in for an officer program in the pipline, most are picked up STA-21, the OCS board results list who is a civilian/reserve applicant and who is an active duty applicant, so far for FY12 there have been 55 active duty enlisted picked up for OCS, but what is going to be the hard part is the current lack of billets and you low GPA, the two programs that have been consistantly open are aviation and nuke and to go from enlisted nuke to officer nuke you have to have taken a year of calc and calc based physics, but even then they tend to look very negatively on any overall GPA less than 3.o

Alex S

I would say there is always a chance, but that being said in the past several years I have only seen a few people with GPA's less than 2.9 picked up and that was for Pilot.

You will be given a few opportunities to put in for an officer program in the pipline, most are picked up STA-21, the OCS board results list who is a civilian/reserve applicant and who is an active duty applicant, so far for FY12 there have been 55 active duty enlisted picked up for OCS, but what is going to be the hard part is the current lack of billets and you low GPA, the two programs that have been consistantly open are aviation and nuke and to go from enlisted nuke to officer nuke you have to have taken a year of calc and calc based physics, but even then they tend to look very negatively on any overall GPA less than 3.o

Ok, that makes sense. And I know I am ineligible for STA-21. So what I really need to do is do well n A-School, Nuclear Power School, and Prototype? Any advice you can give me on how I can be competitive, even if it's working towards a masters degree while enlisted? Thanks for your advice.