• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted AT to SNA, Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbobb

I would really appreciate anyone who can answer some questions for me. I just currently graduated from AT school #1 with a 98% avg, and accelerated advancement to E-4. I was also #1 in bootcamp with 2 awards. I already have an associates in electromechanical technology, and will finish my BS in liberal arts in about 2months when I get to my next command in Hawaii. My prt is only a good high right now. What do I need to do to improve my chances of getting accepted to OCS? Is a degree in liberal arts from Excelsior College good enough to get a pilot slot? Are there any pilot slots available for the next coming fy? Please help, career counselors never give enough info.
AT Holman

zilber

pilot
The best thing to do is to get good recommendations, and write the best essay for your package that you possibly can. Your accomplishments in the Navy (Bootcamp, #1 at AT "A" school) should be sufficient enough. Call your congressman, and ask for a recommendation. They can write a limited amount of them for the Naval Academy, but they can write as many as they want for OCS or Seaman to Admiral. Make sure that your college GPA is >= 3.0. If not, it doesn't really matter (as long as it's not too low), because you did great in your "A" school. Good luck.

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
Do your job and do it better than anyone else in your pay grade at your permanent command. Find Command collateral duties, I teach CPR, everyone who checks in sees me and must be certified before being released from indoctrination. That is a lot of responsibility for a lowly E-4. Volunteer for the jobs that no one else wants to do. These types of actions and others got me selected as my commands Pacific Regional Junior Sailor of the Year; this ranks me as #1 among all junior sailors under my command and detachments! It sounds like you are on the right path for success. Now this is just my opinion but I cannot imagine a command endorsing a package for someone who just checked in; that is a long time they are going to have to gap a billet.

"Those people who tell you not to take chances
They are all missing on what life is about" -James Hetfield

klray77

After only 2 months with my first squadron, they wrote me a great endorsement package. I was also an enlisted AT. I even spent the first 6 months with the squadron TAD to the base galley. The thing that they noticed about me was that even after working long hours at the galley, I would pop my head in over at the squadron to learn some AT stuff. Back then I only applied for the BOOST program. But I got picked up and now 6 years later, I'm an SNA just waiting to go to API. I would suggest trying for STA-21 if you're that close to your bachelor's. I think that you might have a better chance at doing what you want to in the Navy that way.

Bigbobb

Thanks so much for the responses, Im really looking forward to getting to my next command so that I can start applying. Thanks again for the helpful info.

onee

When you apply as an enlisted member, they would like to see what you have done since you've been in. Having been in only a short period of time, that is quite hard to prove. When you get to your first command, be sure to do whatever it takes to start working on your ESWS and EAWS qualifications ... if they are available at your command. If you can get those quals before you apply, you would have increased your chances a great deal.
Good Luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys sound like some really squared away sailors. I am proud to sit on the STA-21 board for a MM2 tomorrow. You are off to a good start. Good Luck!

Bigbobb

I was told maybe I should apply for STA21 even though I have less than a year left to go, does anyone know anything about this. I heard once you have a certain amount of college done, you cant apply anymore.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check out the instruction, it's online. I just reviewed it for the STA-21 board I was on last week and don't remember anything about a max number of credits. In fact, it says that an applicant should get as many credits as possible before joining the program to reduce cost to the Navy. There is a STA-21 option that allows you to apply with a guarantee to the actual designator, ie pilot or NFO. You can also enter the program with no designator quarantee and then select at graduation like ROTC mids. I'd look at STA-21 first. Full pay to finish school. No need to go to school and keep you "day job" too. Just collect the check and go to college.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
Originally posted by onegembu
When you apply as an enlisted member, they would like to see what you have done since you've been in. Having been in only a short period of time, that is quite hard to prove. When you get to your first command, be sure to do whatever it takes to start working on your ESWS and EAWS qualifications ... if they are available at your command. If you can get those quals before you apply, you would have increased your chances a great deal.
Good Luck.

Absolutely! The new EAWS program is much easier now that it is required. If you go on deployment, you can bust it out pretty quick! It is very important that you not only excel in your rating but also as an all around sailor. Get involved in community activities and volunteer! Don't get discouraged if you end up working in the geedunk or line shack, just keep plugging. It might seem like no one sees what a good job your doing but if your a stroker, they will notice! Just keep qualifying for plane handler, GSE, Avionics corrosion control, CDI (eventually) and work center supervisor. You can get these knocked out pretty quick on deployment!

AT1 (AW/NAC) Christopher M. Harrison
VX-20 VP Projects
Bldg 606 RM 16B
harrisoncm@navair.navy.mil

Status
Not open for further replies.