• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Application Process Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.

twidget

Deskaholic
I posted this information on navyocs.com in answer to a question, but thought it might enlighten/confuse more people if I put it here as well. Please feel free to correct me if you have a better feel for what goes on in the dark, secret dungeons where the tea leaves are read, and bones cast to select candidates.

"First of all, bissous69 and I are enlisted and probably have a slightly different application process. From civilian posts I've read, it seems that you submit your application with far less info than we do, and it goes through different channels for a time. Here's the complete process as I know it for enlisted sailors:

Application
Complete ASTB, physical, application (which already includes scores from past semi-annual PRTs), complete officer interview boards, etc...

The application is then sent off with everything included, such as: recommendation letters, date of security clearance (most rates, like us ETs already have some clearance), college transcripts, personal awards, annual evaluation reports, and everything else called for on the App. I'm not sure if it's the same application that civilians complete.

Review
The application is sent to Millington were it takes about a week to 10 days to go through mail screening and distribution to get to the Enlisted Applications Processor. He reviews the application for completeness, compiles it with other info from the members permanent record on file, puts things in the right order, scans it all, and emails it to each of the Community Managers for the applicants requested designators.

The Comm. Mgr. reviews the candidates application. They each have their own timeline and method for making a decision. I would assume that for some communities the decision making process is much more time consuming and difficult. From what I've read and my own experience, Intel takes much longer than some designators, maybe due to Security Clearance?

After they decide, they forward recommendations back to the Application Processor.

Approval
The App. Processor sends the applicants physical info for review, if everythings OK, the app goes on to the OCS board. At this point a board of officers reviews the app using the "whole person" concept, not just would the applicant make a good pilot, NFO, Suppo, but would they be a good Naval Officer.

This is the stage I'm most in the dark about, and of course most apprehensive, since that's where my app is now. Apparently the application "flow" has changed recently. Used to be the applicant was approved by OCS Board first, then sent to the Comm. Mgrs. for selection. Now it's reversed, so although I've been told by the Comm. Mgr. and App. Processor that the recommendation is the biggest hurdle, I'm still on pins and needles waiting for the outcome.

How this differs from the civilian process I really don't know. From what I've read on this forum, sounds like you guys submit much less initially, and after the recommendation must finish everything that is left, I.E. physical, PRT.

If anyone sees any mistakes, or can fill in the holes and gray areas, please chime in. I'd love to hear from any recruiters or NRC/NPC insiders that have been in the trenches with these apps."

Status
Not open for further replies.