• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Enlisted AF Reserves to Navy Pilot via OCS

patrick_sitar

So I will be enlisting in the AF Reserves while I am in college (Aerospace Engineering). I want to be a Naval Aviator through OCS.
  1. How hard (and competitive) is it to get an ocs slot in addition to a pilot slot in the Navy
  2. Will being in the Air Force be a problem while applying to Navy OCS (Will the Air Force release me)
  3. What should I do that sets me up for getting accepted into the OCS and a pilot slot the most
  4. Should I apply during my senior year of college so that I can immediately ship out to OCS after graduation?
  5. What are the boards looking for in terms of candidates for the pilot slot?

TyKing

pilot
So I will be enlisting in the AF Reserves while I am in college (Aerospace Engineering). I want to be a Naval Aviator through OCS.
  1. How hard (and competitive) is it to get an ocs slot in addition to a pilot slot in the Navy
  2. Will being in the Air Force be a problem while applying to Navy OCS (Will the Air Force release me)
  3. What should I do that sets me up for getting accepted into the OCS and a pilot slot the most
  4. Should I apply during my senior year of college so that I can immediately ship out to OCS after graduation?
  5. What are the boards looking for in terms of candidates for the pilot slot?
I went from active duty enlisted Air Force to Navy OCS, now I'm a Student Naval Aviator in flight school.

1. It depends, the things that factor in on how hard it is to get selected could change by the time you finish college. Rule of dumb, don't focus on how hard it is and just work hard and put your self in the best spot to get selected.

2. This also depends, you could just wait till your time in the reserve is done and then apply. If you try to apply while still in the Air Force reserves you would need your commander's approval and a conditional release. Also, keep in mine that the Naval Aviator board will look at your enlisted performance reports, since you'll be prior enlisted. With that in mine be the best Airman you can be and be a stud at your job so your commander will want to support you going to Navy OCS.

3. The best things you can do to set yourself up to get selected for SNA and go to Navy OCS is to do the absolute best you can at college and get a good GPA, stay out of trouble, and study hard and score well one the ASTB.

4. I believe you can apply up to a year out from finishing your degree, don't quote me. If you want to apply as soon as possible then talk to a Navy Officer recruiter and see when you can apply.

5. I can't tell you what the board is looking for but I would say focus on crushing school and doing well, do things that build character and be the best Airman you can be while in the Air Force. Also, your ASTB score is a huge part of it; so study hard for that and score really well.