• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlist with a BA and then OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jung

I'm turning 28 in a month and have a BA in math. I scored 48 on OAR. I'm retesting in a month. Since selection into intel/crypto is very competitive, do you guys think enlisting in the Navy now would increase my chances of getting into intel/crypto? It's better waiting to be selected as active duty than a civilian full time high school math teacher. What do you guys think? Would there be complications if I go this route?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The only thing I could see being a problem is the initial wait to apply for OCS after you enlist. Right now as a civilian, you can keep applying, whereas I'm sure there's a certain time period you will have to wait after boot camp, etc. Anyone know how long you'd have to wait after enlisting?

jung

Thisguy,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I can keep applying as a civilian but I'm not so young that I can wait (forever) until I get selected. If I enlist now, I would at least have a shot at using my Navy training elsewhere. I hear CIA recruits from the Navy. I would rather be 32 finishing up my enlistment contract than 32 about to give up on OCS while accumulating teaching experience. I don't see myself teaching for life. It's so boring. Anyway, I just read that AMDO wants math or physics majors so I might have a better shot at that than Intel or Crypto.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
A word of advice on AMDO wanting math/physics majors, they say that, but it is not a technical designator. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, and I don't know why they want people with technical degrees in this community. The reason intel and crypto are so selective is because of their size. If you're looking into other options, have you considered going Nuke? I think your degree is right up thier alley, check out this link (if you haven't done so already).

http://users.theshell.com/~p3gator/forum/showthread.php?p=62659#post62659

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jung,

Do a search of my previous posts. I've laid out my thoughts in several posts on what I think for people who have a bachelors degree to enlist rather than keep trying for OCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.