• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

End of fiscal year speeds up processing times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

Hi. I just swore in yesterday, having been accepted to train as an NFO. I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, and now I'd like to contribute with my story.
I've been bugging my friendly "local" recruiting officer over the last year. I use the term "local" loosely, as I studied in Europe and as you know, there are few recruiting stations over there. Anyways, I always thought that any kind of flying job was out of the question due to myopia (20/80), but when I learned that NFO was within reach, naturally I lunged at the opportunity, packed up (after getting my degree, of course) and left for Boston, which is the NRD that handles Europe. I tested on August 29th, a mere month ago, physical and ASTB, good to go, okay, but some papers short to make up my OCS package.
I've since moved to Houston, TX to hunt other jobs, so Saturday two weeks ago Fedex show up with the Navy paperwork that needed my signature, plus return envelope, no cost to me of course, and it all gets sent back to Boston. Get word two days later that a decision will be made either Friday Sept 29th or Monday Oct 1, but lo and behold on Wed 27th I am accepted. That's a mere two weeks after handing in my kit, folks. My recruiter, who was a good guy and an NFO to boot, mentioned that the fiscal year ends today (sept 29th), also they need NFO's bad.
This has got to be the fastest processing of any government agency I ever experienced.
I've been in Houston three weeks now, and I've still to get my TX drivers license in the mail!
Anyways, OCS is on for November 11th and and I'm to say the least; very stoked. Anyone else going?

Dave Shutter

I'm still working on my packet, but you gave me some insight to a question, namely a ballpark on the time it takes to get to OCS from the time your accepted, yours was about a month & 1/2. I'm still praying for pilot but I'm still going to have to wait and see if I get my waivers.

Congrats and best of luck! The Navy's gonna need a couple hundred NFO's in the backs of all those new SuperHornet "F"s they just bought! From all the Tomcat guys I talked to at Oceana, some of which will be transitioning soon, the Navy's will basically be rebuilding the Pac' and 'Lant fighter wings with Superbugs. Technically they'll be VFA's but they'll be filling the shoes of the gone but not forgotten VF's. I'm hoping they re-activate my brothers squad', VF-142 Ghostriders. Black and yellow nose/tail art suits the "F" pretty well to me.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.