• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Emergency leave from OCS (death in the family)

Status
Not open for further replies.

submariner8

Does anyone know if an Officer Candidate can take leave during OCS due to a death in the immediate family?

My dad was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer and I'll be at OCS all fall, when he is "expected" (by the doctors) to pass away.
If you are allowed to leave, how much time do you get?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

kevin

i dont know the answers to your questions, but all i can say is im sorry to hear that. i'll pray for you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You should be allowed Emergency Leave. To be authorized Emergency Leave the Command may require validation through the Red Cross. You might want to do some homework on your local Red Cross contacts before you go and leave the info with your family. Although I am sure it will make no difference under the circumstances, you should know that you may be required to role back a class. I'm sorry to hear about your family tragedy. When in flight training I had four good friends killed in a civilian mid air. Later, while underway, my father had a stroke. In both cases the Navy did all they could for. Difficult as it may seem, don't let the personal stress undermine your performance at OCS. If you feel that it is then let someone know early. If you dig yourself a hole and then claim personal problems, thy can do little for you.

Meridiani

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. If I were in your shoes, I would consider postponing my OCS date. It's very difficult to get an earlier OCS date if you want it, but it's a fairly simple matter to get a later date.

navy101

Hey, I am in your Oct. 4 class. Sorry to hear about your dad, and like Kevin, I will also be praying for you and your family. If you find yourself at OCS having trouble dealing with it, I'd be happy to do what I can to help you out.

orthaj

It is possible to get leave from OCS if there is some kind of death in the immeadiate family. I was at OCS last summer and one of our guys grandparents died. He was gone only for two nights and then he was back. The training he missed he was required to keep up. (tests, pft, prac application stuff) Keep in mind though once you are gone from OCS it can be real easy to just stay home and continue grieving with family and friends. If you do find yourself in this situation you need to stay focused if you are going to be successful with your training.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes Emergency leave is granted in OCS. I hold the all time record at OCS. I went home on four seperate occasions. It was not fun and I got rolled from two classes. Not a way to go through OCS but I made it. Sorry to hear about your dad.

Dave

sailorgloom

Definitely check the Red Cross website. Get the number of the local chapter near your home. When I go away on TDY, I usually write the duty line of the station and name of the command I'm heading out just in case something happens and my folks need to get in touch with me.

-SG

Status
Not open for further replies.