• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EKG at Flight Physical

Garrettrw

Had my flight physical today and everything went well until my EKG. I'm not real sure why I didn't pass but the woman said that it was borderline and I might need a waiver. Another woman at the desk said that when I come back for my 2nd physical (Anthro, etc.) that I could take it again. Anyone have any experience with this? I checked the sticky referring to the waivers but couldn't find any information because I'm not 100% what I'm even looking for. I felt like I was left out of the loop. Seemed like everything was Non-Waiverable from what I read. If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry that I don't have my info regarding the test, but I wasn't given much info about it. Thanks in advance.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to Airwarriors.

I too had to have a second EKG done, but I knew exactly why because I asked. You should probably go back to whatever facility you had your physical done at and have a doctor or a competent petty officer tell you what the scoop is. Don't leave until you are satisfied.

Never leave a military treatment facility again not knowing the full story. It's a tough way to live and Navy medical will let you do it every time if you don't ask.

Garrettrw

Welcome to Airwarriors.

I too had to have a second EKG done, but I knew exactly why because I asked. You should probably go back to whatever facility you had your physical done at and have a doctor or a competent petty officer tell you what the scoop is. Don't leave until you are satisfied.

Never leave a military treatment facility again not knowing the full story. It's a tough way to live and Navy medical will let you do it every time if you don't ask.

Yeah, It's stressful. I would ask and not get any clear answers. Was your 2nd EKG scheduled close to your first? Did they give you a reason why you had to repeat it? I'm thinking my BPM was too high? Going to check my diet and pick up the exercise. Not real sure what else to do. My recruiter is calling Miramar tomorrow, so maybe I'll know more then. Thanks for the quick reply.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What was the issue, if you don't mind me asking? That could certainly make a difference. I "failed" my first flight physical EKG back when I was in NROTC (prior to summer cruise) and all I ended up having to do was get a work-up from a cardiologist out in town. Basically did some more EKG stuff, did a stress test, and a holter monitor (for 24 hrs). The original problem was a Right Bundle Branch Block (RBBB), and as I was advised on here back then, it ended up being a non-issue. Incidentally, I did a long form prior to API (which includes EKG) and the RBBB didn't even show up. Word is that Whidbey Island had an especially touchy machine. So you really never know what is goin on until you get it checked out.

And yes, make sure you get a good explanation of what the problem is. I had a good long chat with my flight doc when those results came back, and she assured me that it wasn't a huge deal or life-threatening. Even then I still went home not only thinking my shot at aviation was gone, but also wondering if I was about to die of heart failure.....funny in hindsight I guess :)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, It's stressful. I would ask and not get any clear answers. Was your 2nd EKG scheduled close to your first? Did they give you a reason why you had to repeat it? I'm thinking my BPM was too high? Going to check my diet and pick up the exercise. Not real sure what else to do. My recruiter is calling Miramar tomorrow, so maybe I'll know more then. Thanks for the quick reply.

My story is a little weird with regard to how they were scheduled. I had my first one done back in May 08 at NAS Atlanta (not counting the one the year before) and they let it go like nothing was wrong. When I did a short form at NOMI a month ago or so the Cmdr walked me over to the EKG "shop" without so much as telling me what the hell was going on. I had her stop and explain what the hell was going on. I was satisfied with the answer so that I wasn't all weirded out while I was on the table. Fortunately it turned out to be nothing. So, no they werent close together.

sanders

What do you mean "when I come back for my second physical"? I had mine done a month ago and it was done all in one day. Is your physical in two parts?

incubus852

pilot
I had the same thing happen to me. Some HM3 hooked me up to the EKG machine and it spat out results saying I had some sort of arrhythmia... No offense to corpmen, but they aren't really trained to interpret the results, they simply put a check in the box. I was lucky in that I have doctors in the fam; they sent my EKG results to a friendly cardiologist who corrected spotted I just have an abnormally low (but perfectly healthy) resting heart rate.

So, don't worry too much about it if you don't have a history of heart/respiratory problems and be persistent about getting it redone.

To echo marinemike, when you hopefully get into the Navy, you're going to learn the CYA SOP (cover your ass standard operating procedure). Ask questions until you're satisfied, make copies of every piece of paper you get and give the Navy (esp Admin) and always follow up with people.

And sanders, it's typical for quite a few people on their indoc DODMERB to have to return several times. They first get the results, they sit on them and ponder, then bring you back for results/any follow ups.

Reconjoe

Operator experience will make a huge difference I found. I had a nurse go through 3 EKG readings on 2 different machines, and then another nurse on a third machine....the results looked horribly bad they said....finally an actual flight surgeon hooks me up to the first machine, re-arranges the electrodes so they're spaced out more and farther from my heart and BAM normal readings (turns out I have too strong a heart for normal electrode placement)....if it weren't for that doc walking by with nothing to do I might have walked thinking I was done for good without fighting it.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Garretrw, I wouldn't sweat the EKG thing. It is not unusual for the machine to interpret things incorrectly. Could be a lot of things....incorrrect lead placement, lead came off or wasn't attached properly.

The woman who read it...doc, nurse, HM?

RabidMoose

So what exactly do they look for with the EKG, and how long does it take??? Is it a good idea to get one before OCS?

usmc_stud

pilot
garretrw, on my initial physcial to join the military, I was told told there was an issue with my heart and I had to have a big, long work-up. It turned out it was pre-ventricular contractions (PVCs) and I got a waiver for it. since then I've found out that it's no big deal, just an irregular heartbeat.

however, just like everyone else said, next time you go for a physical or anything else, don't leave without a good understanding of what is happening and a point of contact, a number you can call if you have any questions; and don't be afraid to ask too many. if you are told you're not physically qualified (NPQed), don't worry, you will almost certainly get a waiver. when you do, always keep a copy of it. if anyone asks for your last copy of the waiver, ask them for a copy machine, but don't EVER give up your last copy of a waiver (or orders, up-chits, receipts, etc.).

if you have any questions, PM me.

Garrettrw

Garretrw, I wouldn't sweat the EKG thing. It is not unusual for the machine to interpret things incorrectly. Could be a lot of things....incorrrect lead placement, lead came off or wasn't attached properly.

The woman who read it...doc, nurse, HM?

HM.

I'm going back on Thurs. Should have more info by then.