• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE ECRC Gouge - 2020

snake020

Contributor
Recently completed ECRC and wanted to share the experience. I wasn't sure what to expect given how uptight the NOSCs were on the checklists, but what I experienced was in line with what I heard, was that it wasn't that bad.

Whilst COVID 19 is still a thing, if you're coming from outside of Hampton Roads, expect to spend two weeks in ROM. The staff set us up in hotels and arranged for rental cars for groups once the course kicked off. Depending on your follow on destination, you may need to spend an additional two weeks in ROM post ECRC due to AMC requirements. Can't complain - a hotel room on Norfolk per diem is far better than a tent with 10 other dudes on $3.50 M&IE.

1. The first day is a full day, but most of the rest of the week is half days allowing time for Reservists to handle individual lingering medical or legal requirements at Sewell's Point.

2. If you're missing medical items on your ECRC checklist (e.g. ANAM, audiogram, blood draws) because your NOSC did not have facilities to support, they are prepared for your situation and you'll have plenty of opportunity to get those outstanding items done.

3. Be aware gas mask and a packet full of MOPP gear will be issued, and it's one more thing to carry. Depending on your ultimate duty location, you may get a second seabag full of other uniform items as well.

4. Be prepared for your active duty pay to be significantly delayed. Despite a two week headstart because of ROM, less than half the Reservists in the course had an active duty pay account set up by the end of ECRC. This is mostly the fault of CSD Norfolk, since this whole process is centralised through them and we're already dealing with antiquated processes and systems. ECRC recognises this as a significant issue and will hold you from going forward until your pay account is confirmed open.

5. All Reservists are assigned an action officer who is your key point of contact for getting you to your ultimate destination along with any supporting actions. These guys and gals were on top of things and able to answer my lingering logistical questions.

Overall, this was not a bad evolution as I was expecting a typical Navy shitshow and the staff was professional and competent, which is more than I can say for most staff the NOSCs. If you have additional questions about the pre-deployment process and ECRC, happy to try and answer based on my recent experience.

snake020

Contributor
Pay start still delayed 4-8 weeks?

Likely. I can't confirm since I'm still waiting on mine and best case will receive my first pay at end of November. They repeatedly briefed you may not see all your entitlements and pays caught up until about 3 months in.

snake020

Contributor
Saved round - TRICARE. If you're a single guy like me who doesn't have TRICARE Reserve and is low maintenance, you're likely not to be impacted much, but if you utilise TRICARE in any way and/or have a family, expect a clusterfuck. Yes, you get TRICARE benefits once you get mobilisation orders up to 180 days in advance of your RLD. However, once you process on your RLD and your duty status gets changed to pending loss, expect to see yourself disenrolled from TRICARE in DEERS and in limbo for weeks until you get fully gained into active duty.

Best advice is to speak with the ECRC folks for any TRICARE related issues or claims which may arise after your RLD. They recognise this is a significant issue and there are a variety of cases depending on your family situation and which flavours of TRICARE medical/dental you would normally utilise. Ultimately they can help you navigate through the mess help you avoid out of pocket fees.

Also, I wasn't expecting these problems given how easy it was to go from drilling SELRES to ADSW orders, but because the mobilisation pipeline is what it is and the systems/processes are a bit of a joke, expect and prepare for these significant pain points for the indefinite future if you mobilise.