• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ECP Lessons Learned

SuccessStory

FY08 STA-21 SNFO SELECT
Well I searched for this thread to and was very surprised that i couldn't find one. I just wanted to create a standard LL thread for the upcoming applicants to go to directly and see what not to do. Sometimes thats easier. I guess i can start it off by saying definitely don't wait until after the results come out to do your physical. This can cause you much pain and unnecessary worry. So go ahead guys... input some knowledge to the up and coming.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I would add that college applications is a good idea prior to selection as well.

SuccessStory

FY08 STA-21 SNFO SELECT
Better search habits? Of course I changed your negative question into a positive.:eek:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11043
Thank you for your kind input. This thread is simply meant to be for "Enlisted Commissioning Programs for those upcoming Mustangs out there, information on an of the enlisted commissioning programs out there, such as STA". Sorry guys, guess I goofed again. Thought I had it right this time. But thanks for the warm welcome. See you guys in the fleet.

Chief,

I think he was refering specifically to the STA-21 pipeline. The other one deals more with OCS applicants.
yes your right fc2. Thanks for the backup

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I would definately say get college applications out of the way. The are usually good for over a year. That means if you don't get selected the first year that acceptance can be used for the next. Also, start writing you personal statement now. Gives you more time to write a quality product and it also allows you to add or change things when you think about them. Start getting letters of recommendation now. Waiting until the last minute could cause you to miss out on very helpful LOR's. Asking for them now will allow them to write it at their leisure. Lastly, get transcripts now

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sticky applied in advance of continued great lessons learned

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Well I searched for this thread to and was very surprised that i couldn't find one. I just wanted to create a standard LL thread for the upcoming applicants to go to directly and see what not to do. Sometimes thats easier. I guess i can start it off by saying definitely don't wait until after the results come out to do your physical. This can cause you much pain and unnecessary worry. So go ahead guys... input some knowledge to the up and coming.

To piggy-back on this not only should you do your physical before being selected like the instruction recommends, just so you know if you will be qualified or not. But if it is done already you can send the paperwork in IMMEDIATELY. You do not have to go out and get a whole new one after being selected. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is good for a year. So I would recommend getting one each year prior to the board releasing the results until you get selected. That way you can send it in right away and if any waivers are required you will beat the rush at BUMED and NOMI and be that much ahead of the game.

haubby

None
Contributor
I'm not really sure there is much to be said for the process itself that isn’t already on AW. That said I have much to say about lessons learned once you are selected. When I found out I was selected I was put into a world which I highly desired, but more importantly was unprepared for. I was placed in a position normally held by a LT or equivalent civilian pay grade. This position gave me more authority and face time than that I have ever experienced before. Do not kid yourself and not think people will be jealous of what you have accomplished. You will be the center of attention and you WILL be under the microscope of everybody until the day you transfer. Remember you are/have performed at the top of your peers your whole career, but remember this...there is only one way to go from the top, and that is straight down. I will not discuss the reasons on here, but I am one of the unfortunate souls that traveled that exact path. Do not let your selection make your ego swell or make you think you are untouchable. Just because you were selected doesn't make you any different from the person you were before the results were released. For myself, my future in this program may be over before it even started. My fate is in my Skippers hands. For those of you who are lucky enough to be selected in the future please keep these things in mind. Don't piss it away like I may have.

Anyway, my fate will be decided tomorrow. It will be one sleepless night.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Chief,I think he was refering specifically to the STA-21 pipeline. The other one deals more with OCS applicants.

Fair enough. I read the post as a negative view of the process, e.g., what is out there to get you. My view of the world is that nothing good comes for negative thinking, nothing. Sure, learn to game the system, but do not live by gaming the system. Guess I am a glass half full guy rather than half empty.:sleep_125:sleep_125

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
Well here’s a start on some of the points I’ve come across and discovered.
  • Application/Package
    • If you are thinking of putting in a package, put one in! I was going to wait until next year when I had more ‘experience’ under my belt. I’m glad I didn’t wait.
    • Get as many people involved at your command as possible. Talk about it and show a genuine extreme interest in the program. They'll do what they can to help.
    • Don’t wait until the last minute; there are plenty of people to do that for you.
    • Get a copy of someone’s package that was selected if possible. The more recent the better.
    • Make friends with a selectee, most are more than willing to help.
    • Attend the STA-21 Brief at you command. Tell them you found AW (Airwarriors.com) more informative.
    • Learn as much about the application package/process as possible. You should be the expert at your command.
    • Read and reread all the instructions on the STA-21 website.
    • Then read everything that mentions STA-21 on the AW forum. And use the search feature to keep the vultures happy.
    • You don’t need original transcripts, copies of the transcripts in you service record will do. Certified.
    • Include copies of all of you awards, certifications, letters of appreciation, anything that will show positively on you character.
    • Include the Page 13 – One less thing later.
    • Have PSD/Admin certify true copy your enclosures.
    • Make sure it is in order, and enclosure numbers are printed.
    • Make sure it is mailed on time! Don’t trust Admin. It’s your career. (Sorry YNs)
  • Requirement/Eligibility
  • CO’s Endorsement Letter
    • Most important item.
    • Try to get a good MC/Senior Chief to write/help you write the endorsement.
      • They should be able to build you up based on you evals and performance.
      • I found it hard to brag about myself for someone else to sign.
    • Chief board letters are a good example I was told.
    • Here are some good points in this sticky post
    • Ask for any waiver here. Age?
    • Start early!
  • Personal Statement
    • This is the second most important item in your package.
    • Start early!
    • Have people you know proof it. Not AW members.
    • This is your personal statement, make it memorable and yours.
    • Points to hit:
      • Why you want to be an officer.
      • What you will contribute to the Navy.
      • Explain any ‘marks’ on you record.
      • What you bring to the table in experience.
    • This is your interview with the final selection board.
    • Write revise, revise, and keep revising.
    • Keep it to one page. Increase the margins a little and use a slightly smaller font if you have to.
  • Letters of Recommendation
    • It is recommended to get them from wherever possible.
      • Highschool Coaches - if you are very junior.
      • Past COs
      • Past CMCs
      • Senators – It never hurts to try.
      • Past employers
    • I don’t really have much on this as I forgot/didn’t get any for my package.
  • College/Academic Prep
    • Take and pass Calc I and Calc II. Physics I & II wouldn't be bad either.
      • Remember at college you must take and pass all 4 of those.
      • The board likes to see that you already completed them.
    • Take as many classes as reasonable with TA. One class a semester is doable for almost everyone especially at shore commands.
    • Study for the SAT/ACT.
      • There are many good study programs, invest a few dollars and get one.
      • I raised my scores quite a bit from high school by just putting in some good hours studying.
    • Take the SAT/ACT early, I took mine in March and the results arrived mid June, cutting it close. No time for retake. Remember minimums aren’t always good enough.
    • Take both if possible, ACT/SAT
      • ACT is said to measure more of what you learned in high school.
      • SAT is supposed to measure aptitude or likelihood of success in college.
    • Show an interest in learning, get certifications. If they are related to your enlisted rate all the better. Include them in the package.
  • PT
    • Start a workout program. Good scores on the PRT show you are motivated for the program.
    • Find other people that will help motivate you. It’s easier to get out there if someone is expecting you to be there.
    • One plan that I found worked was to interspace push-ups and sit-up during a run. Every so many meters drop and push some out. One of the best PRT specific programs I can think of.
    • Be a CFL or Assistant CFL (Command Fitness Leader)
    • If you’re really crazy go find a perspective Spec-Ops PT group. Just be ready to swim a lot.
  • Interview Boards
    • Try to get a board with aviators. My board was with a VP Squadron. They made it a very low stress board, but yet very in depth. Props to them for not trying to scare the junior enlisted. It was more of a ‘are you sure you want to do this?’ interview.
    • If you’re having tough time getting the boards arranged keep pushing even if you have to go higher in your CoC. (Or have your LPO/supervisor push the issue for you.)
    • Pay attention to the requirements for the appraisal sheets: billet title and designator are required. I forgot to get the billet title, for what it’s worth.
    • Go read some books on leadership to prepare. They will help put your thoughts into words.
  • Board Questions
    • Some common questions:
      • Why do you want to be a Naval Officer?
      • What are you going to bring to the Navy?
      • Why do you want to be a pilot? (or insert any other option)
      • What do you think is your best/weakest trait?
      • If you could change something about the Navy, what would it be?
      • What is your opinion on…?
        • You must have a well thought out opinion.
      • Riddles
        • Yes I got asked a few riddles.
    • If your answer is ever "To be a leader." Than you’ll be asked why not a Chief?
      • An answer to that is you want to command. Command is never possible as an enlisted. There is always an officer who is ultimately responsible. And you have to want that responsibility.
    • Situational questions. Remember Core Values, and never be the junior man with a secret.
    • Be current on current events, good primer for a opinion question.
    • Integrity - this is what they say an officer’s career is based on. You compromise that and you’re pretty much done.
    • Be able explain the situation but ultimately take responsibility for ‘bad’ marks in you record.
      • I had a failed semester at college, ‘nuff said.
    • Be calm, think before you speak. Thank the interviewers for their time.
  • Post-Selection
    • Schools
      • If you feel good about your package apply to schools early before the selection results are out. It’s your $50 to $100.
      • Some schools like Texas have set application schedule that they will not bend on. You must apply VERY early.
      • Research your choices early and thoroughly. Especially if you have a lot of college credits.
        • I have 110+ credits, transferring degree plans are tough and require a lot of work on yours and the school’s advisors part.
        • Official Transcripts take forever to get requested and arrive at the schools.
        • Most credits will not transfer. Out of my 110+ about 40 transferred.
        • Class progression for a major will make it take longer for you to graduate. And you may end up with many credits you don’t ‘need’.
      • Check for instate tuition for military members. California is a maybe, but most likely not. Most others are good for it.
      • Schools admissions departments sometimes work slower than the military. If on a crunch for time, keep pushing them but be nice about it.
      • Check out the NROTC unit. Ask current mids. Some are like the Academy; others are almost like a club. Neither one is better, just be informed. Remember you are preparing to be a future leader in the military.
    • Physicals
      • Definitely do them as soon as reasonable. For CORE it’s not as big a deal, but for aviators, do it before putting in the package, then there are no surprises.
    • Also rumor from past applicants (not on AW) is the alternates get picked up by the first done with the 5 conditions first select. Maybe we could confirm that with Pensacola?
    • Get ready to wait. Oh, you will be doing a lot of that.
    • If selected - keep doing your job the best you can. Nothing has really changed until you transfer. People will treat you differently but you should remember that you are still a blue-shirt until you report to NSI.
    • If not selected – reapply, reapply, and reapply! If you really want a commission don’t stop until you get it. Remember STA-21 isn’t the only way to gold bars.
    • Ed Straten at the STA-21 office is awesome! More than helpful and professional in dealing with 200+ selectees.
Finally the most important thing is sustained superior performance at you current job.

Nose

pilot
Lessons learned:

1. Never eat anything bigger than your head.
2. When there is a lot, eat a lot. When there is a little, eat it all.
3. As Basher used to say: Never pet a burning dog.

SuccessStory

FY08 STA-21 SNFO SELECT
Fair enough. I read the post as a negative view of the process, e.g., what is out there to get you. My view of the world is that nothing good comes for negative thinking, nothing. Sure, learn to game the system, but do not live by gaming the system. Guess I am a glass half full guy rather than half empty.:sleep_125:sleep_125
I was not by anymeans being negative. I would actually like to see some lessons learned posted on this from the OC's and senior guys for us FY08 Selectees also. We are very wet behind the ears and it definitely wouldn't hurt.