• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2/C-2 Pilots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I'm looking for information on how and when they decide if you go E-2 or C-2? And what about switching from one to the other after your first tour?

I finished primary about a month ago, I'm about 3 weeks from my first T-44 flight, so it'll be a while before I get to the RAG, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Unable to answer any of those questions, you should have gone P3s, then I would have had a clue (or maybe not)...

Best of luck down there in Corpus, and flying the T44. I imagine you are well past the initial checklist shock phase, if you aren't I can't emphasize enough sitting down with your FAM partner in the sim or out in a plane and going through all the checklists and the "proper" responses, and going through all the switchology. When you get that done, the only other item that I spent alot of time was getting all those "cases" memorized around the pattern, for what to do when you lose an engine. Those damn case 1s..... (losing an engine on climbout around the pattern, for those that I am confusing with the terms). Also, one of the biggest tricks, either in the "valley of the downs" or up north, is the IP trying to get you to land at a field that is too short. Always check field length! Down in Brownsville, the controllers just LOVE to give you short vectors, doesn't help when you are trying to handle an emergency.... Oh well, I am sure there is still alot of gouge floating around. You used to be able to go to Kinkos and get a copy of the T44 Gouge Book, don't know if they still have it or not, that is where I got mine. All the best!

John

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm a C-2 instructor pilot at VAW-120. Right now, you will select E-2 or C-2 at the beginning of ground school. We go by the wish list but since COD's are very popular, we usually end up having to go by grades.

As far as switching goes, you will be one or the other during your first sea tour. The plan right now is for all C-2's to go away from the FRS in about 3 years. So if you go C-2's then go back as an FRS instructor, you will fly TE-2C's. The plan is to have 6 TE-2's by 2006 to train all E-2/C-2 pilots. So right there you will have E-2 and C-2 experience so there will probably be a good chance to enter into either community during your second sea or DH tour.

FLYNAVYORION

I suggest lifting weights... my buddy said selection is survival of the fittest... they give you the drops and you fight over them.... but I would go with the previous message

jragadio

bunk22,

How did you like the community? I am assuming you were a C-2 pilot, not an E-2. Were you west coast out of North Island? I am in primary and am going to track select in a couple of weeks and have heard nothing good about E-2/C-2. I would really like to be stationed in California and Pt. Mugu or North Island would be great. I have just not heard any E-2 pilot liking his job. Is it the same way for C-2s?

What is life like? How is promotion? How are the people in the squadron? Are they all pissed off pilots that didn't get jets? Is it worth it to go E-2/C-2 just to fly off the boat? What is a typical day like? How many hours do you end up with after your first tour? Is the flying really boring?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by jragadio
bunk22,

How did you like the community? I am assuming you were a C-2 pilot, not an E-2. Were you west coast out of North Island? I am in primary and am going to track select in a couple of weeks and have heard nothing good about E-2/C-2. I would really like to be stationed in California and Pt. Mugu or North Island would be great. I have just not heard any E-2 pilot liking his job. Is it the same way for C-2s?

What is life like? How is promotion? How are the people in the squadron? Are they all pissed off pilots that didn't get jets? Is it worth it to go E-2/C-2 just to fly off the boat? What is a typical day like? How many hours do you end up with after your first tour? Is the flying really boring?

I was a C-2 pilot with VRC-30 at NAS North Island. I'm scheduled to go back next Aug/Sep timeframe for an OIC tour. That was the only way I would stay in the Navy. I'm currently a C-2 instructor at VAW-120. I guess you can take from that I really enjoyed my C-2 tour. I don't know of anyone from VRC-30 or 40 who doesn't like flying the C-2. At 30 we had an F-18 transition pilot, an S-3 pilot, and an A-6 pilot. At the FRS we currently have a couple of S-3 pilots making the transition, the word is out
thumbup_125.gif
Some people might be upset that they didn't get jets initially but that usually goes away. Jets are for *******
icon_smile_wink.gif

Some E-2 pilots like their jobs, some don't. I hear complaints about the NFO's, the boring flying, etc. Same with us but we get per diem on cruise and don't have to worry about the NFO's. Regardless, their mission is crucial to the battle group. The C-2 mission is obviously logistics so it's a bit different. You will fly all over the place, in many countries (sometimes hostile) but mostly neutral or friendly. My first cruise on the Connie in 99 was a bit different, we stayed on the boat and flew day/night missions from the carrier. VRC-30 did that for 3 years. It was actually a great cruise and our det felt much more connected tot he airwing. 30 went back to the old way of doig things for my second cruise, beach based in the Gulf, flying day only to the boat. That's when the per diem of $96 a day, tax free, for 3 months really kicked in. Nothing like coming home with almost $12,000 dollars extra because of per dieam and fed tax exemption.

Promotion is the same as other communities. The COD community is a warfare specialty now so making CDR shouldn't be a problem, even Captain is some cases. I just put on O-4 in March. As far as flight hours go, it really depends. I was on the low side since I went through a very bad period for aircraft availability in 2000. There was 2 straight months when I didn't fly. I would think you should leave your first tour with 1300-1500 hours. I had exactly 1310 hours leaving VRC-30. The flying can and will get boring in the C-2. The exceptions are flying around the boat and paradrops (though for now paradrops are not allowed to help save the airframe--don't ask). The working hours at a COD squadron are normal but you don't have to go on the typcial cruise work-ups that the rest of the airwing has to go on. More time with the family, friends, dog, whatever. Cruise can get busy but being day only makes it a lot, lot easier.

Obvioulsy being a COD driver, I'm biased, but it's definitely a great community to fly for. I highly recommend it. Good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't disagree with bunk22 since I am a VS guy and NFO at that. I will say this though... I flew in three airwings off two CVs and worked with four VAW squadrons, active and reserve. I found them to be the most professional underrated bunch of guys on the boat. The mission is critical all right. The whole airwing revolves around them. I know E-2 pilots that often found it boring since it is really a NFO's plane, but if you are into the mission and not just being a bus driver, you should find it more rewarding. Oh, the VS guys that went to VRC and flew the old S-3 COD "Miss Piggy" love it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.