• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DUI and OCS

Slaps22

I have a question concerning a DUI arrest and applying to OCS. Last August, I was arrested for DUI. My blood-alcohol level was a .06 and the legal limit is .08, but because I am only 20 the limit is .02. My attorney wrote to the DA and he is allowing me to participate in the Pre-trial Diversion program. This program consists of community service, MADD classes, etc. "Participation in and successful completion of the program results in an administrative disposition of the charges, thus avoiding the possibility of a criminal record. Also, if other criteria are met, those who qualify will be able to apply for expungement of their arrest record."

I have searched the site for a post about the program but found nothing. I did find information on expungement and I don't like the sound of it. I hear the military can find out everything when it comes to criminal backgrounds.

My main question is what should I tell my OSO? I have talked to him a few times before and brought home an application. He now wants me to come in and set up a physical. He does not know about my problem. I don't even have my driver's license back and there is a question about suspension on the application.

1) Should I just go tell him the truth now and see what he says? Is there any negative side of this option?

2) Should I keep my mouth shut about the DUI for now and tell him that I want to wait and make my application stronger to buy some more time? I am 2 flights away from my Private Pilot's license and I am also setting up an appointment for PRK. Should I say I'll call him when I finish these to strengthen my application. I want to wait for this DUI problem to blow over before I talk to my OSO, but I don't want him to think I have cold feet or something and not take me serious.

I know many of you will say that I have no shot whatever I do. I just want to know what you would do if you were in my place. Has this happened to anyone? This will forever be my biggest mistake no matter what happens with the military. It has made everyone around me think less of me for my action. I will never forgive myself.

Please help me come to a decision on what to tell my OSO and ultimately to become a Marine Corps Officer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You need to tell your OSO about it ASAP. It will eventually come up and witholding those kinds of things will cause you big troubles.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You tell your OSO the truth or you don't deserve to become an officer. Officers have integrity even if it means personal sacrifice.

BTW, did you tell the FAA? Your student pilot certificate is a FAA license and you are required to report all DUIs to the FAA. If you don't report it and they find out (and they will eventually), you can lose your any and all FAA licenses you hold.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Agreed, that you tell him. Further, perhaps you ask him for a copy of the most recent application, and EPSQ (or download it online, sf86.pdf or something like that). Tell him that you are going to come back to him when your legal matter is settled, with better grades, a pilots license, a completed PRK, and all the forms completed, ready to take the ASTB/PRT so that when you get back you guys can right down to business. So obviously, get prepared for the ASTB, and the PRT.

This should show him that you are serious about applying, and do not want to waste his time. You can't get your medical done before the PRK is done and stopped healing (minimum of 6 months I believe the regulations say). By all means disclose the DUI to the OSO the next time you meet him in person (which should be sooner rather than later).

Carno

Insane
Check FAR 61.15. I haven't looked at it recently, but I believe you must notify the FAA within 60 days of the incident.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Slaps...

I got a DUI in Tallahassee 4 years prior to my OCS commissioning. As abhorrent as it seems to me now, It was not a dealbreaker per OCS. Just be honest with your recruiter.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Expunged or not you must reveal it on your ESPQ.

Question is "Have you ever been arrested?"...not neccessarily convicted. Hide nothing be honest and explain what you are doing to fix the DUI problem and the drinking problem.

phrogpilot73

Mefesto said:
I know of no FAR that requires you to report DUI's to the FAA. I may be way dated here on my FAR knowledge... but TMK the killer is the job interview.
I believe it's not the DUI that you are required to report, but the suspension of your drivers license that must be reported. There is a FAR pertaining to it, and I know that you can't get more than 1 in a 3 year period.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I believe it's not the DUI that you are required to report, but the suspension of your drivers license that must be reported. There is a FAR pertaining to it, and I know that you can't get more than 1 in a 3 year period.
They call it a "motor vehicle action" but the FAR defines it to include the DUI conviction whether you lose your driver's license or not.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
They call it a "motor vehicle action" but the FAR defines it to include the DUI conviction whether you lose your driver's license or not.

Right. One can have their license suspended and not be convicted of a DUI yet, but still need to report it. The FAA has been known to revoke certificates and lay massive fines for those who do not inform.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Right. One can have their license suspended and not be convicted of a DUI yet, but still need to report it. The FAA has been known to revoke certificates and lay massive fines for those who do not inform.

I work for a company that operates a fleet of Lear 25's & one of our pilots failed to report his arrest for DUI. When the FAA found out they pulled his license even though he hasn't been convicted yet. My understanding was that he would have been able to keep his license until final disposition of his case if he had notified the FAA at the time of his arrest.

Now he's out of work & his chances of getting another job, (if he gets his license back), will be slim to nil with this on his record.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
The issue is not entirley about the DUI (that is a big negative though). It's more about how you handle the situation. While I was on PTAD we had a candidate get into a bar fight only 3 weeks before he commissioned. He decided not to tell us about it until he was making his plea deal with a judge, one week before he was supposed to commission. Needless to say, Marines get in fights, but the fact he with-held the information as long as he did it what caused most of the S!&t storm.

Grab some intestinal fortitude and tell your OSO asap, it will suck, but it's the only option you have if you want to become a Marine Officer

Slaps22

I want to thank everybody for posting. This is certainly a difficult situation, one that I'm obviously not proud to be in. I just hope everything works out for the best and that the Marines can accept my mistake as a learning experience. Thanks again.