• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dual processing to expedite SNA application

Hi all, this is my first post here and I'ld like to get some advice.

I've been trying to submit a Navy Officer package since last February for SNA/NFO. I got a OAR/ASTB 63/8/8/8 and the Officer Recruiter mentioned I would be having no problems getting selected. I have no tatts, no criminal record, no drugs, nothing on my file except for a minor surgery from over 10 years ago. Ever since last February, trying to get an appointment at Meps to get my flight physical has been impossible. They lost my paperwork multiple times. My application got dropped from the tracker for no reason. They request obscure medical forms out of the blue after ghosting me for months.
So, to avoid being processed at that particular Meps, my Officer Recruiter suggested I try this neat thing called Dual Processing. I said sure, ok, not really knowing what he meant. He referred me to an enlisted recruiter, and we began doing some paperwork. I was told I would simply take the ASVAB and then get my physical at a different Meps, and once that is done then I would resume processing as an Officer. Under no circumstance I would be obligated to enlist if I didnt want to.
Today I got called into the recruiter station. They asked me to sign enlistment papers. "Pick a job. Whichever, it doesnt matter. You are not going in as enlisted, you only need to sign this enlistment so can send you to Meps and complete your physical. After that, we won't see you again, you will resume your processing as an Officer with your Officer Recruiter. Yes, you are signing enlistment papers, but you dont have to enlist if you dont want to or if you dont get picked up for aviation".

I noped out of there real quick.

So my question to you all, has anybody else in here been through something similar? Is this a common practice, or was my recruiter trying to pull a sneaky one and have me enlist?

exNavyOffRec

I've been trying to submit a Navy Officer package since last February for SNA/NFO. I got a OAR/ASTB 63/8/8/8 and the Officer Recruiter mentioned I would be having no problems getting selected. I have no tatts, no criminal record, no drugs, nothing on my file except for a minor surgery from over 10 years ago. Ever since last February, trying to get an appointment at Meps to get my flight physical has been impossible. They lost my paperwork multiple times. My application got dropped from the tracker for no reason. They request obscure medical forms out of the blue after ghosting me for months.
So, to avoid being processed at that particular Meps, my Officer Recruiter suggested I try this neat thing called Dual Processing. I said sure, ok, not really knowing what he meant. He referred me to an enlisted recruiter, and we began doing some paperwork. I was told I would simply take the ASVAB and then get my physical at a different Meps, and once that is done then I would resume processing as an Officer. Under no circumstance I would be obligated to enlist if I didnt want to.
Today I got called into the recruiter station. They asked me to sign enlistment papers. "Pick a job. Whichever, it doesnt matter. You are not going in as enlisted, you only need to sign this enlistment so can send you to Meps and complete your physical. After that, we won't see you again, you will resume your processing as an Officer with your Officer Recruiter. Yes, you are signing enlistment papers, but you dont have to enlist if you dont want to or if you dont get picked up for aviation".

So my question to you all, has anybody else in here been through something similar? Is this a common practice, or was my recruiter trying to pull a sneaky one and have me enlist?

1. What rank is your OR
  2. Do you want to be an Officer
  3. What is your GPA
  4. Your ASTB is great

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

This was in the late 90's, but I do remember that prior to going to MEPS, my OSO (officer recruiter), told me to make sure not to get on any bus after the physical... :(

Not trying to sound conspiratorial, but I wouldn't trust enlisted recruiters for as far as I can throw them on this issue. It's a tough business.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Yeah. Hard no. I'd look into the next closest MEPS/OR and go from there. I thought ORs were generally Os? Mine was an LT.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah. Hard no. I'd look into the next closest MEPS/OR and go from there. I thought ORs were generally Os? Mine was an LT.

It was often split 50/50 O's and CPO's, that generally worked well as most CPO's can talk about what a JO does on a daily basis as we are often in meetings next to our DIVO, the things that we can't fill in we have O's we work with that can take care of that.

That setup was going just fine and then some idiot at NRC (probably a senior enlisted career recruiting force (CRF) person) thought that any enlisted person can process an officer because it really isn't any different than processing an enlisted, and because some E-5 with 3 years of sea duty can explain what an officer does from his vast experience of chipping paint of the side of a ship.

Those CRF have a mindset that anyone joining is to be treated like a 17 year old kid, still remember a CRF MCPO telling me and a few other OR's that we needed to have our NUPOC's/CEC collegiates all report at the same time to the NRD HQ each week so they could check in, when I brought up the point that many of these college students have tech classes/labs/exams that they need to be at his response was "they are in the military, they need to reschedule those things and report when told", I pissed him off when I said it doesn't work like that, he said some words and at that point one of the other OR's who was a LCDR pulled him into an office where there was a back and forth until the MCPO was told stop talking and may have been called a "fucking idiot".

FinkUFreaky

pilot
It was often split 50/50 O's and CPO's, that generally worked well as most CPO's can talk about what a JO does on a daily basis as we are often in meetings next to our DIVO, the things that we can't fill in we have O's we work with that can take care of that.

That setup was going just fine and then some idiot at NRC (probably a senior enlisted career recruiting force (CRF) person) thought that any enlisted person can process an officer because it really isn't any different than processing an enlisted, and because some E-5 with 3 years of sea duty can explain what an officer does from his vast experience of chipping paint of the side of a ship.

Those CRF have a mindset that anyone joining is to be treated like a 17 year old kid, still remember a CRF MCPO telling me and a few other OR's that we needed to have our NUPOC's/CEC collegiates all report at the same time to the NRD HQ each week so they could check in, when I brought up the point that many of these college students have tech classes/labs/exams that they need to be at his response was "they are in the military, they need to reschedule those things and report when told", I pissed him off when I said it doesn't work like that, he said some words and at that point one of the other OR's who was a LCDR pulled him into an office where there was a back and forth until the MCPO was told stop talking and may have been called a "fucking idiot".
Haha yeah I was BDCP; similar to NUPOC. My OR just wanted an email twice a month, two PRTs a year, and once a random drug screening. Seemed like the right balance, I'm not sure what I would have said to requests for me to drive an hour out of the way for weekly musters.

SELRES_AMDO

To ask the obvious question, what exactly were the enlistment papers? I doubt they were actually enlistment papers agreeing to a legitimate contract.

I vaguely remember signing some forms to agree to certain things prior to my enlistment at MEPS. I didn't actually sign on the dotted line until cleared by MEPS and then sat down with the classifier to get my job.

You do have reason to be paranoid but they might not be trying to pull a fast one and are simply covering their own ass when they send you through the process.

Have you asked your OR? Have your Officer recruiter call them and ask specifically what is going on.

exNavyOffRec

Haha yeah I was BDCP; similar to NUPOC. My OR just wanted an email twice a month, two PRTs a year, and once a random drug screening. Seemed like the right balance, I'm not sure what I would have said to requests for me to drive an hour out of the way for weekly musters.

I pretty much requested the same thing from my collegiates, I think I wanted at least one phone call a month to talk to them and ask the Chief questions, make sure classes were going ok, any new girlfriends/boyfriends, make sure they didn't knock anyone up recently lol

To ask the obvious question, what exactly were the enlistment papers? I doubt they were actually enlistment papers agreeing to a legitimate contract.

I vaguely remember signing some forms to agree to certain things prior to my enlistment at MEPS. I didn't actually sign on the dotted line until cleared by MEPS and then sat down with the classifier to get my job.

You do have reason to be paranoid but they might not be trying to pull a fast one and are simply covering their own ass when they send you through the process.

Have you asked your OR? Have your Officer recruiter call them and ask specifically what is going on.

He asked me to pick a backup enlisted job. Before he pulled the contract, I asked him to clarify what he meant. He said "We need you to sign an enlistment contract so we send you to Meps and get your physical". I don't think he was trying to screw me over, but I decided to err on the side of caution and not sign anything until consulting with people who don't have a stake on me enlisting.

Yeah, I talked to my OR and he mentioned that its perfectly normal and theres nothing to worry about. Still, I feel uneasy about signing anything about enlisting.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yeah. Hard no. I'd look into the next closest MEPS/OR and go from there.
I'd also start my own dual processing by talking to officer recruiters from the other armed services about an aviation career there.

I had a very good experience with my OR (20+ years ago). Other than being expected to call them instead of waiting for them to call me (no big deal, act like a grownup and show initiative), it was all pretty straightforward. Kind of a shame the OP's recruiters are bobbling the paperwork so badly when their jobs are about... doing paperwork correctly.

exNavyOffRec

He asked me to pick a backup enlisted job. Before he pulled the contract, I asked him to clarify what he meant. He said "We need you to sign an enlistment contract so we send you to Meps and get your physical". I don't think he was trying to screw me over, but I decided to err on the side of caution and not sign anything until consulting with people who don't have a stake on me enlisting.

Yeah, I talked to my OR and he mentioned that its perfectly normal and theres nothing to worry about. Still, I feel uneasy about signing anything about enlisting.

not perfectly normal at all and yes there is lots to worry about.

how about this, tell him you will sign it but only to get a physical and you will not ship to boot camp if you aren't picked up for OCS and then see what he says, or how about this, if you go to MEPS after clearing then you will sit down with a classifier and you tell them you were told you didn't have to pick a job and you just had to come down to get a physical.

not perfectly normal at all and yes there is lots to worry about.

how about this, tell him you will sign it but only to get a physical and you will not ship to boot camp if you aren't picked up for OCS and then see what he says, or how about this, if you go to MEPS after clearing then you will sit down with a classifier and you tell them you were told you didn't have to pick a job and you just had to come down to get a physical.

He did say that if I do not get picked for Officer then I don't have to go to bootcamp nor enlist. Lots of emphasis on "you are not obligated to enlist until you set foot in bootcamp. Once you do, then Uncle Sam owns you. We are only doing this to speed up your physical and security clearance since its much faster to do it as enlisted vs officer".

exNavyOffRec

He did say that if I do not get picked for Officer then I don't have to go to bootcamp nor enlist. Lots of emphasis on "you are not obligated to enlist until you set foot in bootcamp. Once you do, then Uncle Sam owns you. We are only doing this to speed up your physical and security clearance since its much faster to do it as enlisted vs officer".

that is all bullshit not sure what city you are in but you should find another OR in another NRD