• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dual Process OCS and Enlist

MalibuHennessy9

Dear everyone,
I am recently doing my application for the OCS. My recruiter told me I should also enlist before submitting my application for OCS to strengthen my package (because my OAR score is not really high) and show my commitment that I want to join the NAVY. I, yet, am not sure about this? I have not go to MEPS again to take asvab or anything just yet.
He also told me that if I can still be enlisted for a year and apply for the OCS. I honestly not sure about this dualing process?
Can someone please help me about this please? I do not want the trouble of going through enlist and other stuff?
Is dual processing even worth it?

I am applying to SWO
GPA 3.6
International relation, BA

NevarYalnal

What is your OAR score? If you're qualified for SWO with your current score just submit and plan for a retake if you do not get picked up.

NevarYalnal

My score is 42, it is qualified. But not high enough according to them. Thank you for your reply
if it's qualified you can submit, unless something else in your application is disqualifying. if the recruiter refuses to submit you, may need to find a new recruiter to work with. look at some of the threads here on prior SWO boards, pretty sure people have gotten picked up with low 40s OAR scores.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Dear everyone,
I am recently doing my application for the OCS. My recruiter told me I should also enlist before submitting my application for OCS to strengthen my package (because my OAR score is not really high) and show my commitment that I want to join the NAVY. I, yet, am not sure about this? I have not go to MEPS again to take asvab or anything just yet.
He also told me that if I can still be enlisted for a year and apply for the OCS. I honestly not sure about this dualing process?
Can someone please help me about this please? I do not want the trouble of going through enlist and other stuff?

I am applying to SWO
GPA 3.6
28523Your recruiter is a liar.

I’m also sitting on the fence between not putting down a good American who may have learned English as a second language, and saying your post smells like GINGERBREAD.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My score is 42, it is qualified. But not high enough according to them. Thank you for your reply

Enlisting doesn't 'strengthen your package', once you enlist it is an entirely different process to apply for OCS (you don't deal with your recruiter anymore for one) and from what I've seen it can be far more competitive than as a civilian off the street and may not be a realistic option depending on your command. I would stick with the OCS process and see how it plays out. At the very least see if you can take the OAR as that is a much easier and far less drastic step than enlisting, once you raise your right hand Uncle Sam owns you and all bets are off.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
Don't do it! I scored a 43 and I'm a newly commissioned ensign. It's possible. I was enlisted for 14 years. If I had the opportunity to do it again. Commissioning would be my way to go. It's also extremely hard to get commissioned while you're enlisted. Don't end up like me just getting commissioned over a decade of being in.

villo0692

seriously, they tell you, yeah, you enlist and then as soon as you get to your first command you get to submit your package......NO!....if you wanna be an officer, and you have your degree....just retake your OAR if you want to be more competitive and apply...DO NOT...lemme say that again...DO NOT ENLIST....I would look for another recruiter to be quite honest

BasketballisLife

Dear everyone,

I am applying to SWO
GPA 3.6
If your ultimate goal is to eventually become a commissioned officer then go for OCS and be patient. I enlisted with a Bachelor's because a recruiter told me something similar to you (I initially scored a 52 though). Now, here I am 8 years later scratching and clawing to commission. I absolutely value my time as an enlisted sailor though. I experienced some cool deployments and made lifelong friends. I was fortunate enough to pick up a master's degree during this time as well. I also think my enlisted experience will give me perspective once I'm in the position to lead sailors as an officer (if I get picked up). Nonetheless, I let my recruiter talk me into enlisting even though I was definitely qualified to commission from the start. I second what @Nicholsq stated, that it will probably be harder to go officer once you enlist. The longer you're enlisted, the more "time in service" goes into effect which can be looked at unfavorably to some board members (an enlisted person with several years AD may only stay in till they hit that 20 year retirement mark. Most boards want longevity potential of service from officer candidates). 42 is enough to go to a SWO board. If you're not picked up, hit the books and retake the test.

GroundPounder

Dear everyone,

I am applying to SWO
GPA 3.6

There is a reason that every documentary on the military has, at some point, a dude that relates a story about something that a recruiter told him being less than 100% true. They have a quota to fill, and have been known to stretch the truth. In my case, I wanted to be an infantryman, but ended up being in units with lots of guys who were told that that you can change your MOS to X at MEPS, or once you finish Basic...... Humping a ruck sack is even harder when you really wanted to be a baker or computer tech.

The last time you will have ( in almost all cases ) the high ground, is right before you raise your right hand. After that, you're a rider.

Good luck.

exNavyOffRec

There is a reason that every documentary on the military has, at some point, a dude that relates a story about something that a recruiter told him being less than 100% true. They have a quota to fill, and have been known to stretch the truth. In my case, I wanted to be an infantryman, but ended up being in units with lots of guys who were told that that you can change your MOS to X at MEPS, or once you finish Basic...... Humping a ruck sack is even harder when you really wanted to be a baker or computer tech.

The last time you will have ( in almost all cases ) the high ground, is right before you raise your right hand. After that, you're a rider.

Good luck.

Any USN officer recruiter that is concerned about a quota probably needs to find a new line of work, it is not hard to be an OR, minimal effort and you will succeed, I am guessing that the OP is actually working with an enlisted recruiter who is "helping out" and trying to poach officer candidates to fill his enlisted quota.

OR's should be CPO's or higher, medical recruiting can be an exception. That would reduce crap like the OP heard.

HeartofTexas

Contributor
When you enlist, your primary obligation is your enlisted rate, getting qualified in that rate, and giving the Navy its pound of flesh. It's like kids who enlist jut to get free college and don't realize that getting TA for online classes is a benefit that is given once you "prove yourself" in the command.

If you want to be an officer, apply to be an officer. Don't cockblock your own career.