• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dry Heaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
How do I alleviate dry heaves? I get them every time I run, regardless of whether or not I eat. On a good day, I run through them. On a bad day, it's very demoralizing. I'll admit to being in rather poor aerobic shape. Is that what's causing it?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll admit to being in rather poor aerobic shape. Is that what's causing it?

Pre-med? if not you should be. Yes that is what is causing it go run more and push it until something comes up then run more and after a while it will stop

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Yea, I figred as much. That's why i run in the park instead of the gym. Have the relative privacy to hack away without 20 other ppl getting offended.

No, I'm a math major, not pre-med. My last biology course was in 9th grade.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eat lots of Hungarian Ghoulash at the club prior to running.

Make it real interesting....

Kycntryboy

pilot
Patmack18 said:
Dude I was in the best shape ever at the end of OCS... and I would throw up on every run we had... I became known for it. Everyone had their theories and I tried everything. One particular run... we were somewhere crossing the 3 mile point and someone in my class had the genius to say congrats me for almost being back and not throwing up... 20 seconds later... ya well. I'm convinced it's a mental thing. However I did have mild success with this stuff at GNC, that I can't remember the name of, that increases lactic acid tolerance and helps with aerobic capacity. Comes in a red box.
I sincerly doubt that lactic acid has anything to do with this... you have got more potent acid in your stomach than lactic acid. Plus I don't think that lactic acid transfusses into the stomach (could be wrong, but I doubt it). Well here we go.. you produce lactic acid in your muscles when you are not getting enough oxygen to your muscles (i.e. running more than you are accustomed to), with out boring you with unnecessary details; the better shape that you are in the better your able to transfuse oxygen into your muscles.
My guess:
A lot of people when they first start to run get a pain in the side of their stomach, this is not actually a pain that is cause by a physical injury, but it is your body saying "wtf mate". Its mental. Your's might be so bad its causing you to dry heave, just a guess. The pill from GNC sounds like a placebo in action to me. (Agricultural Biotechnology major).

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Some of it is mental too.

In Oki, our company would run every hill on the base, but it never failed that when we ran the last hill up to our barracks, I would get the dry heaves. It seemed to happen regardless of how long or tough the run was.

If you are in poor shape that is probably 90% of the problem, but some of it's probably in your head.

The best advice is to get your hands on a combat straw.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
I've dealt with a couple Marines that get the heaves, and I've gotten them off and on as well. What I've found is that if I drink about 25 ounces of water at least 1/2 hr but not more than 2 hrs prior to running, it keeps down the heaves as well as making me much less desperate for water after the run. When I got the heaves, I'd push 'em back down and fight hard to quell them. It's worked very well so far, and the 2 devildogs I told about this beat theirs to. Maybe it'll work for you, maybe it won't. Good luck either way.

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
I found a good article on RunnersWorld called Keep it Down. It lists other possible causes of dry heaving and some different solutions to try. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.