• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drunk driver in FL

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only surprise is that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often there. That stretch of Perdido Key Dr is a like a goddamned live-action Frogger. Condos, restaurants, and bars on both sides of the road, few traffic lights or marked crosswalks. You get people leaving the bars buzzed or drunk, drunks stumbing out of the Flora-Bama to the parking lot across the road, teenagers on spring break running across the road in flip-flops, etc etc. Plus it's a long, straight stretch of road so people tend to speed even when sober.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I hope they throw the book at this guy. Based on what I saw when living in NW FL, they won't.

It never ceases to amaze me how much these assholes (drunk driver types) can get away with before they're finally stripped of their driving privilages, and/or locked up.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think FL is particularly lenient toward DUIs. However - hit and kill someone while sober and it's damn near impossible to get them prosecuted. One of Fester 2.0's teachers was struck and killed while crossing San Jose Blvd by a guy who was speeding and ran a red, with a revoked license. A license which was revoked after the previous time he hit and and killed someone. The teacher's daughter was also hit, and severely injured. Unless you're under the influence or it can be proven you were aiming for the person you hit, FL law apparently allows pretty much no leeway to prosecute.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Considering the guy bailed out after only 5 hours in jail and for $40,000 after hitting eight people I don't have high hopes.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The only surprise is that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often there. That stretch of Perdido Key Dr is a like a goddamned live-action Frogger. Condos, restaurants, and bars on both sides of the road, few traffic lights or marked crosswalks. You get people leaving the bars buzzed or drunk, drunks stumbing out of the Flora-Bama to the parking lot across the road, teenagers on spring break running across the road in flip-flops, etc etc. Plus it's a long, straight stretch of road so people tend to speed even when sober.

I agree. A buddy of mine (former yut yut ECMO turned UAV guy) was hit crossing the road in Destin by a drunk driver while he was in flight school. He was in the flashing light cross walk. Dude has a titanium femur, some metal in his face and implants for teeth. He also spent some time in a Coma. The entire Gulf Coast from Gulf Shores to Panama City is a complete shit show for this stuff.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
As serious as "the Navy" takes DUIs from its members out in town, this looks like it might be time to call in a reciprocal favor from local DA... Something along the lines of, "Yo, Boss Hog, we crush our dude's nuts when you snatch 'em up for DUIs, how 'bout a little something on this one for the effort....?"

Also, and I don't realistically see this happening, but if this dude skates, the local military population could make a fairly profound economic statement WRT patronizing downtown (Palafox) and beach establishments. Again, I don't see the follow through on that idea, but pretty sure it would catch a lot of local attention - particularly with all the money going into downtown revitalization.

Last edited:

Bravo Kilo

As serious as "the Navy" takes DUIs from its members out in town, this looks like it might be time to call in a reciprocal favor from local DA... Something along the lines of, "Yo, Boss Hog, we crush our dude's nuts when you snatch 'em up for DUIs, how 'bout a little something on this one for the effort....?"
I really hope so. I've seen a lot of people during my time at Eglin get hemmed up for DUIs and related alcohol-related incidents, many career ending. None of those incidents involved death or injury either. I hope those students make it through and are OK, and justice gets served for them.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The former VT-4 IP who is a guest of the state of Florida would disagree that Florida doesn't punish drunk drivers who hurt people. Nor would the former VP-45 CO.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
FL state prisoners must serve 85% of sentence. At last look, minimum mandatory sentence for DUI w/ ser bod injury is 4 years and some months.

GroundPounder

FL state prisoners must serve 85% of sentence. At last look, minimum mandatory sentence for DUI w/ ser bod injury is 4 years and some months.

Thanks for the information, that is not the case in Georgia. Florida is to be applauded that their stated sentences reflect reality, at least.